Friday, October 28, 2011

Foggy Conditions

"And they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them..."  Mark 10:32 (KJV)

The early morning West Virginia fog thickly surrounded us as we wound our way through the mountains.  I was driving, and at times, I couldn't see two feet in front of the car.  Kevin and I talked of how it looked like a good morning to see deer out and about, so I was trying to be extra careful.  During the particularly dense spots, there was one thing that kept me moving forward and continually let me know it was safe to go on.  There was a car ahead of us, and I kept my eyes on its lights.  I knew if there was an obstacle, the car in front of us would encounter it and have to deal with it first.

It reminded me of our lives lately.  We've hit some pretty foggy spots of uncertainty.  At times, we really didn't know where our next footstep would take us, nor could we see anything ahead very clearly.  One thing has kept us moving forward.  We are following the Light.  Jesus said in John 8:12 (KJV), "I am the Light of the world:  he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." 

Jesus is walking in front of us.  Whatever is out there, it comforts me to know that He will deal with it first, and I know we are safe following Him.  He told His disciples in Matthew 6:34 (KJV) "...sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."  In other words, just deal with what is in front of you today; it is enough to handle without worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow.

Sometimes, I want to see the big picture.  I want to know why?  And how long?  And what's next?  The future direction of our lives looks so foggy and completely uncertain.  But, what a comfort to know we are "following the Lamb whithersover He goeth"!  Revelation 14:4 (KJV)  We are not leading, stumbling along in the dark, hoping we don't trip or crash into something.  The precious Lamb of God goes directly in front of us, and we are following His light.

If I couldn't see His light, if I couldn't sense His presence, I would be completely immobilized by fear and unable to go another mile in my Christian journey right now.  But, "He leadeth me, oh, blessed thought!"  He goes before us, and nothing touches us that doesn't touch Him first.  By His grace and strength, I am determined to follow the Light and press on. 

What about you, my friend?  Have things been predictable for years, and now, suddenly you have found yourself in strange, unfamiliar territory and circumstances?  Is everything foggy ahead, unclear and uncertain?  Are you afraid of what's going to happen next?  Maybe you are awaiting results of a medical test for you or a loved one.  Perhaps you don't know where the next mortgage payment is coming from or how you will continue to feed your family.  I want to encourage you to keep your focus on the Light.  He already knows the future, and He is prepared and capable of handling it with you.  He will never leave you nor forsake you!  Hebrews 13:5 (KJV) 

In today's verse, Jesus went BEFORE His disciples. He had a rough road ahead of Him, and He knew they did, too.  If you continue reading, you will see in verses 33 & 34 that He told them what He was facing.  You will also see further in verse 32 that the disciples were afraid.  Things looked foggy before them.  I don't suppose there is any greater fear, than the fear of the unknown.  We all experience it, and Jesus understands. 

So, take heart, my friend!  Jesus overcame - you will, too - if you continue to place your trust in Him, focus on the Light, and let Him lead.  Do not be afraid of tomorrow; He is already there!

No comments:

Post a Comment