Saturday, October 1, 2011

God's Mysteries

"...but there is a God in Heaven Who reveals mysteries."
Daniel 2:28
(NIV)


Today, I am thinking about the mysteries that God allows to come into our lives.  
Those times when nothing at all around us make sense.  
We've been taught all of our lives to never ask God "why", 
but I beg to differ with that line of reasoning.  
I think of Jesus on the cross and how He cried out, 
"My God, My God, WHY hast Thou forsaken Me?" 
Matthew 27:46 
(KJV)  

It was the darkest hour of His life on earth, and yet,
 He could not feel His Father, could not hear His voice, could not see His face.  
How lonely and defeated Jesus must have felt as those words were wrenched from His anguished heart!  
He had done everything His Father had asked Him to, and yet, here He was, 
near the end, and no matter how hard He tried to believe, 
He felt utterly and completely forsaken.  
How could this be?  
Had He missed something that He was supposed to have done?  
Did He displease His Father somewhere down the line?  
Of course not.  
We know that Jesus did every, single thing He was supposed to do.  
Peter tells us in I Peter 2:22, that Jesus "did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth".   
In my human way of thinking, 
I would imagine that on the cross should have been one of those moments in Jesus' life where God's voice spoke audibly from Heaven and proclaimed loudly to the cruel soldiers and persecutors that "This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased".  
Hadn't bystanders heard that Voice on two other occasions as affirmation that Jesus truly was the Son of God?  
Doesn't it seem that in this crucial, agonizing moment of Jesus' life, 
He needed that confirmation more than ever before?  
Yet, God was completely silent.  
And Jesus felt alone.  
And He questioned "WHY?"   

There are times in all of our lives that we feel forsaken by God.  
Maybe the trial is too much, the burden is too heavy, the road is too long in front of us.  
We analyze our lives and realize that we have done the very best we could do, and yet, 
there are no accolades, no feelings of God's approval at all.  
It seems that the heavens are completely silent to us, and God is no where to be found.  

Job felt this way when he wrote these words, 
"Behold, I go forward, but He is not there:  
and backward, but I cannot perceive Him:  
On the left hand, where He doth work, but I cannot behold Him:  
He hideth Himself on the right hand, that I cannot see Him...."  
But, even in those moments of feeling utterly abandoned by God, Job's faith still held, and he said, 
"But He knoweth the way that I take:  when He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."  
Job 23:8-10

When God allows mystery to veil His face, and we find ourselves in a lonely, desolate spot, 
we must do as Job did and retain our faith in Him, 
knowing that there is a divine reason for whatever God allows to happen in our lives. 

Job did come forth as gold, and God gave Him double for all he had lost.  
Jesus did come out as Victor, and He is now seated at the right hand of God.  

Mysteries of God...so hard for us to figure out, 
but already solved and ordained for us by our loving, caring Heavenly Father.  
Trust Him, my dear friend, and never let go of your faith...
even in those dark, void-of-hope moments, when all you can utter is "why?"

It's okay to wonder...to question...to ask.
No one understands that better than He does.

10 comments:

  1. It is true. We can ask why, we can pour our heart out to God in prayer. And then we need to keep faith. I came to know God in a deeper way as my son battled leukemia. God showed his love for him and our family--but our son was not healed. I came through the dark days by continuing to cry out to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Carol! Bless your dear heart! I am SO sorry for your loss. May the dear Lord bless and comfort you in each moment of grief and missing him. Thank you for sharing your heart here. God be with you always.

      Delete
  2. I am glad I don't have to understand God. I also glad I am not able to understand him. He is God and I am not. Just a wonderful thing. Thanks, neighbor. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's ways are past finding out...we will never fully know or understand Him. And to think, He condescends to love us and care about the details of our everyday lives. Thank you for stopping by and for leaving encouragement behind!

      Delete
  3. Because He was forsaken, I'll never be forsaken. A great mystery, indeed! I appreciate your deep thoughts. Found you on #w2wwordfilledwednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I so appreciate your sweet visit. God bless you!

      Delete
  4. Thank-you for this post.
    I have lost two family members in the last three months. I have a dear brother that has been given six months to a year to live with cancer. My husband is having seizures from Sleep Apnea. I have been praying for God's help with being there for everyone while I am grieving for my lost family members.
    Your post helped me to understand that I may never understand.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my dear friend! I am SO very, very sorry for your terrible losses and the pain in your heart! I am trusting God to comfort you in ways that only He can, and that He will heal your husband's seizures and give peace to your dear brother and continue to give you the strength you need to be there for so many who are looking to you for help and encouragement. Your burdens are so heavy, but God is a BIG God with big shoulders, and I am trusting Him to lift your load. Be encouraged, my sister. He is with you.

      Delete
  5. So encouraging, Cheryl. Thank you for linking your good words with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer. It is always such a sweet encouragement when you stop by! God bless you, and thank you for the link-up!! :)

      Delete