Friday, October 21, 2011

Storms In The Night

Storms In The Night

“This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.”  Psalm 34:6 (KJV)

One night, I awoke to realize it was nearing early morning, and Kevin was still not home from work.  He had told me he would be home at a certain time, and that time had passed.  I called his cell phone, and when he answered, I could hear a horrendous storm raging on the other end.  It was about 4:00 am, and he was traveling at about 25 miles per hour, trying to make his way through the 29 miles he had to drive from work to home.  There were limbs of trees strewn about in the road, a transformer exploding behind him, and torrential rain pouring down. 

Needless to say, I hit my knees.  I began to cry out to God to protect him and bring him home safe.  I started wondering why God had let the storm come now.  Why couldn’t it have waited until Kevin was safely back home?  Immediately, I heard God’s still, small voice comforting me.  He gently said, “Child, I let it happen now so that you would see that I can bring him home safe to you under the worst possible circumstances.  And I want you to know that I can carry you through the worst possible storm life may bring your way.” 

As I knelt there listening to the voice of my Heavenly Father, a sweet peace washed over me.  I could hear the storm reaching our house and the rain beginning to fall.  I opened the front door and watched as the tree branches began to sway in the ever-increasing wind blowing around our home.  I didn’t feel afraid.  I knew God had spoken to me, and I had nothing to fear.  Soon, I saw the headlights of our car in the driveway bringing Kevin home…a bit rattled, but safe and sound through God’s providential care.

I love the saying “Sometimes God calms the storm; sometimes He calms His child”. 

One day, Jesus got into a boat with His disciples and He told them to pass over to the other side.  (Mark 4:35-41)  He then commenced to fall asleep in the back part of the boat, completely relaxed and calm.  A great stormy wind arose, and the waves beat into the ship.  Jesus’ disciples were terrified, and their fearful cries awoke Him.  He got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still”.  The wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

My dear friend, Wendy, sent me the words to a wonderful song today.  They go right along with this devotional, and I wanted to share them with you. 

YOUR CRIES HAVE AWOKEN THE MASTER
(written by Sonya Isaacs & Becky Isaacs Bowman)

VS. 1 
CROSSING THE CALM SEA WITH JESUS,
THE DISCIPLES WERE GETTING CONCERNED,
THE WINDS STARTED VIOLENTLY BLOWING,
BUT HE WAS ASLEEP IN THE STEARN;
DOES HE NOT CARE THAT WE PERISH?
WE'RE HELPLESS AND WE'RE SO AFRAID,
JESUS AROSE WHEN THEY CALLED HIM,
AND SAID TO THEM WHERE IS YOUR FAITH?


CHORUS:

BECAUSE YOU'VE PRAYED ALL NIGHT,
CAUSE YOU'VE HELD ON WITH ALL OF YOUR MIGHT,
CHILD YOUR CRIES HAVE AWOKEN THE MASTER. 
OH HE KNOWS YOUR VOICE,
LIFT YOUR HANDS IT'S TIME TO REJOICE,
CHILD YOUR CRIES HAVE AWOKEN THE MASTER.

VS. 2
 
IT HIT YOU WITHOUT ANY WARNING,
THE STORM OF YOUR LIFE HAD BEGUN,
SEEING NO HOPE IN THE DISTANCE,
YOU'RE FRIGHTENED AND NOWHERE TO RUN,
BY NOW YOUR VESSEL IS FILLING,
AND YOU'RE THINKING THAT YOU'LL SURELY DROWN,
YOU CRIED OUT FOR HELP FROM THE SAVIOR,
AND YOU KNOW YOU CANT GIVE UP NOW...

REPEAT CHORUS

VS. 3
 
YOU'RE UP THERE WORRIED THAT HE'S FAST ASLEEP,
THE WINDS ARE SO DEADLY, THE WATER'S SO DEEP,
BUT TRY TO BE PATIENT, CAUSE SOON HE'LL BRING PEACE,
JUST ONE WORD FROM HIS VOICE AND IT ALL MUST CEASE.

The most important thing we can ever do in the midst of one of life’s storms is to do what Jesus’ disciples did.  Cry out to Jesus!  It reminds me of when Zachary was a baby.  All it took was a whimper.  I could be in the soundest of sleep, but that sound would awaken me instantly.  Never mind how tired I was ….he was my child, and he needed help.

It may look like Jesus is sound asleep and that He is not aware of your situation.  But, I want to assure you that He sees you, and He can hear you…even the faintest whimper.  Sometimes the fear is so great, there are no words…just tears.  Once He hears that cry for help, you have His full, undivided attention, and a change will come to your situation.  He knew that storm would come up that day on the sea, and none of the storms in our lives ever surprise Him, either.  He is always in complete control, and as He showed me that night on my knees, He can carry us through the worst of life’s storms.  All we have to do is put our trust in Him.  That fearful night on the sea, Jesus calmed the storm; the other night on my knees, He calmed His child.

No comments:

Post a Comment