Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts of Autumn

“While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.” Genesis 8:22 (KJV)

Today, I took down the summer wreath hanging on our front door, and I replaced it with a grapevine wreath covered with fall foliage, a pretty green birdhouse, and a sign that says “welcome” at the top.  I’m a little late on catching up to it this year, but it is official at our house!  Fall has arrived, and I am loving every minute of it!  There is a special beauty to every season of the year, but my personal favorite is from the beginning of autumn until Christmas.  There is something so special about the chill in the air, the beauty of the leaves changing and falling, pumpkins and fall decorations everywhere, and the warm feeling of looking forward to long winter nights and the holidays up ahead.  There’s a song I love called “A Change In The Air” written by Clint Black and Hayden Nichols.  It pretty much sums up my feelings right about now.

There's something talkin' in the wind
Whispering through the trees
That feeling in my bones again
Just puts me right at ease
It takes me back to all the times
I've been here before
But crossroads, old familiar signs
Tell me there's something more

Can't explain, there's something strange about the early fall
It's a comfort leaving me without a care
I remain but everything around me hears the call
And tonight I feel a change in the air

The leaves are turning, soon they'll fall
There's a norther blowing in
The memories flow when I recall
Those changes in the wind
But I can never try to understand
It's nothing you can hold in your hand


Can't explain, there's something strange about the early fall
It's a comfort leaving me without a care
I remain but everything around me hears the call
And tonight I feel a change in the air


Just as God has planned out the seasons of the year, so He has planned out the seasons of our lives.  Ecclesiastes 3:11 (KJV) says, “He hath made everything beautiful in His time…”  Each season we experience has its own unique fingerprint of God’s beauty.  I have now lived through childhood, teens, 20’s, 30’s, and am well into my 40’s.  Looking back, every season has been beautiful.  There were ups and downs, good times and bad, tears and laughter, but through it all, God led me gently by His tender hand.  I love the verse in Jeremiah 29:11 that says, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (NIV)  What a comfort to know that He plans each one of our individual seasons!

Ah!  The blissful season of youth!  It is then that we sow seeds, not giving much thought to the harvest or “autumn” of our lives.  It seems so far-removed from us, at that point.  But, when we reach a certain age, we begin to recognize that we are now reaping a harvest…what we have sown has grown.

Kevin loves to garden, and I often watch him and think about the laws of sowing and reaping.  Before we head to the farm supply store to buy seeds and plants in the spring, he carefully plans out what he wants to reap when harvest-time arrives.  We know that if he sows tomato seeds, we shouldn’t expect cucumbers to come up.  If he sows watermelon seeds, we need not look for carrots.  It is the same in life.  All along the way we are sowing seeds.  Once they are sown, we cannot go back and remove them.  They will grow, and they will produce exactly what we planted.   I found a little plaque in a primitive store that is so fitting.  It says,
“Speak kind words; receive kind echoes.”   

So, even though it is a bit belated, I wish a "Happy Fall" to all!  As we enjoy the beauty of this crisp, yet heartwarming season, let us ever be mindful of the harvest we want to reap in our lives….and let us choose and sow our seeds accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment