Tuesday, November 8, 2011

You Asked, Didn't You?


 “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?” 
Matthew 7:11 (KJV)

Have you ever failed to ask God for something you really wanted from Him?  Or have you asked and then been completely surprised when He gave it to you? 

One morning, I walked down the hall to where Zachary was sitting in our den and asked him what he wanted for breakfast.  I named off different choices, and one of them was bacon, eggs, biscuits, and gravy.  I know this is one of his favorite breakfast combinations, so I wasn’t surprised when his eyes lit up and he said, “Yes, Mama.  That sounds great!”  Then I saw the light go out of his eyes, and I questioned him.  He said, “Well……no, never mind, I don’t want to ask you that.  It’s just that I was craving something really bad.”  I said, “No, go ahead and tell me.”  He said, “Well, I am really craving your mayonnaise muffins.  But, I don’t want to make you do the extra work.”  I said, “Well, I have canned biscuits, would that be okay for today?”  He looked down, and I could see he was clearly disappointed.  He said, “Okay, Mama.  Canned biscuits will be fine.”

I left the room without stating my final decision and went to the kitchen.  I wasn’t feeling the best and it would have been so much easier to pop open the can of biscuits sitting in the door of our refrigerator.  But, I didn’t give it a second thought.  Zachary prefers my homemade muffins; he had asked for them, and by God’s strength, I was bound and determined to make them for him. 

I proceeded to cook breakfast and a while later, he came down the hall into the kitchen.  He walked over to the stove and peeked in through the oven window.  The light was on, and you could see that it was the muffin pan on the rack, not the cookie sheet.  The light came back into his eyes as he said, “Mama!!!  You made mayonnaise muffins??”  I said, “Of course I did.  You asked, didn’t you?” 

Making mayonnaise muffins isn’t such a difficult task.  The recipe is simple.  (By the way, I’ve included it at the end, in case you want to try making it for your own family.)  It really doesn’t take long, and seeing his happiness made it all worthwhile. 

God has a storehouse of bounty that is full of good things He wants to give His children.  It is His delight to see our faces light up when He blesses us.  Luke 12:32 (KJV) says, “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”  Think of how we feel when our own children are happy, and how eager we are to do special things that make them smile.  God looks at us just the same.  We are His children, and how many blessings we miss out on simply because we do not do the simplest thing….we don’t ask!

So many times we are reluctant to ask our Heavenly Father for something we desire from Him.  We feel we have asked too often for too much, and we feel unworthy and that we don’t deserve good things.  We buy into satan’s lies, and it robs us of the blessings God is so eager to bestow. 

James 4:2 (KJV) says “ye have not, because ye ask not.”  Asking is a simple thing.  Recently, I wanted something to work out in our lives.  It looked impossible, and the devil was fighting me telling me there was no way it would ever happen.  One day, it seemed that neither Kevin nor I could endure anymore if a change did not take place in this particular situation.  I knew in my heart that God was able to work it out, but my unbelief was hindering me from asking Him to.  I felt paralyzed by doubt and had become accustomed to listening to the enemy’s lies.  That day, I made up my mind that I was going to ask God very specifically for what I wanted.  Kevin was getting ready to leave for work, and I asked him to pray with me.  He and I knelt together and did what we had been so hesitant to do in this situation…we ASKED God.  That prayer touched Heaven.  God began to move, and before long, do you know we had exactly what we asked for that day? 

Ephesians 3:20 (KJV) says, “Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us…”  God is able.  That has never been the problem.  The problem is that we do not ask. 

Recipe for Mayonnaise Muffins
(I usually double this to make 12 muffins)
1 cup self-rising flour
½ cup milk
¼ cup mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients.  Stir until flour is moistened, but batter is lumpy.  Fill greased muffin tins ½ full.  Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  These are YUMMY, especially with butter, honey, and cinnamon sprinkled on them as soon as they come out of the oven.  They also go great with homemade gravy!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment