Wednesday, January 18, 2012

From Nothing to All Things

                                           Jesus said, “…for without Me ye can do nothing.”  John 15:5 (KJV)

Recently, I was asked to do something that, at one time, would have seemed impossible to me.  I was asked unexpectedly, so it took me completely by surprise…kind of hit me out of left field, so to speak.  I was humbled and honored to be asked, and the impact and meaning of the request was not lost to me.  I knew how important it was and how much it meant to the person asking me.  Their request spoke volumes as to the level of confidence they felt comfortable placing, and I began to feel a sense of panic inside wondering how I would ever fulfill their request.  I stammered and told them I would pray about it and let them know.

That night was pretty much a sleepless night for me.  I tossed and turned and agonized over my decision almost all night long.  I prayed and begged God to make it clear to me.  How could I be sure that He would be with me and do the work through me?  I had to know for certain.  Because I have lived long enough to realize that without Jesus added to the equation, no matter what it is, I can do nothing.  I am without strength, without focus, without passion, without anointing, without life itself.  Jesus Christ is the source and giver of life and without His approval on what I do, I am helpless, unable, and unequal to any task.  It is in Him that I live and move and have my being.  (Acts  17:28)

Sometime during that restless night, I got my answer.  The Lord gently and very clearly reminded me of a Scripture He had led me to the day before in my devotions.  It is found in Haggai 2:5.  “According to the word that I covenanted with you when ye came out of Egypt, so My Spirit remaineth among you:  fear ye not.”  It was as if God, through His Holy Spirit, was witnessing to my inmost soul that He had not left me, that He would be with me in this great challenge, and that I did not have to fear or question His anointing or presence with me.  What a comfort!    

The feat the person was asking me to accomplish was something I wouldn’t even consider attempting on my own.  Never.  I have nothing to offer.  Without Him, I can do nothing.  But, it occurred to me that WITH Him, I can do all things.  “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”  Philippians 4:13 (KJV)   Without Him, we can do nothing.  With Him, we can do all things.  He makes all the difference.

Remember the song “Without Him”?  Here is a link to it being sung by Elvis Presley.


My friend bought me a plaque for Christmas that says, “The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you”.  I love that!  The will of God is leading us into some wonderful, exciting new places….wonderful and exciting, yet uncharted, unfamiliar, and very uncomfortable.  But, as we go, step by step, He is making it plain that as long as He is WITH us, we have nothing to fear.  He is our Leader and our Supplier of everything needed to perform the tasks He is requiring, and even though we have not passed this way before, He has, so He knows the way by heart.

When I was asked to do this hard task, I had a choice.  I could stand immobilized by the dread and fear and “what ifs” the enemy was bringing to my mind.  “What if God isn’t with me?”  “What if I falter?”  “What if I cannot do what they expect of me?”  “What if I step forward and don’t feel God’s presence?”  OR, I could make the other obvious choice and step out in faith, knowing that the same God Who has been with me every inch of the way so far will continue to be with me and never leave me.  I chose the latter, and as I took that leap of faith, God did everything He promised He would do.  He proved faithful to His Word once again, and through Him, I was able to do what was asked of me.  And, again, I found that the “what ifs?” were all lies…sent to foil God’s purpose and plan.

How about you, my friend?  Is God asking you do something that you feel is impossible?  God has a plan and purpose for your life.  He wants to use you in His Kingdom, and there is a role that only you can fill.  You have unique qualities, a unique background, and unique life experiences that are invaluable to God.  When He looks at you, He doesn’t focus on your inability and what you are without Him, but He looks at the potential of what you can be with Him and through Him.  He would never ask you to do something and then not supply the courage, grace, and strength you need to perform it.  All you need....is to have Him on board.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this today instead of the day the email was delivered, and I am so glad that God's timing is perfect in all things. The message would not have meant nearly as much if I had read it on the 18th. I woke today feeling overwhelmed, but I know that in the power of Christ I can accomplish what is before me this week. Thank you for this message and all the others. I have very blessed by your blog Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete