Tuesday, January 17, 2012

No Junk

“And God saw every thing that He had made, and , behold, it was very good…” 
Genesis 1:31 (KJV)

When I was little, Dad brought a little plaque home to me.  It had a picture of a little chubby-faced little child with its face propped up on its pudgy, little elbows, and it said, “I must be special, ‘cause God don’t make no junk”.  I put it in my room and would often look at it.  Its message sunk deep into my heart and way of thinking. 

Ah, the innocent hopefulness of childhood!  Oh, for the days when life didn’t seem so jaded and marred by harsh reality!  Life was simpler then.  My parents loved me, thought I was special, taught me that God loved me, too, and I believed it….with all my heart.  As a child, we just accept what we are told and taught, without all of the cynical questions and suspicions of ulterior motives.  As we grow up and begin to face challenges and obstacles, satan whispers other conflicting thoughts into our ears, which enter our minds, and too often we allow them access through the portals of our hearts.  We start believing the lies and questioning the bases of the foundations of truth we were taught as children.

As women, I think we deal with these things a bit more than men.  We tend to doubt our own loveableness (is that even a word?)J, and we question our own worth.  Our Scripture today tells us that “God saw everything that He had made, and behold, it was very good.”  If you read through the entire first chapter of Genesis, you will read the complete account of the creation of our world and everything in it.  One thing really caught my eye today as I studied it….during each of the six days of creation, God surveyed His workmanship, and repeatedly, time after time, it says….”God saw that it was good”. 

God don’t make no junk.  He doesn’t cut corners.  He doeth all things well.  He is perfection personified.  I have heard thoughtless comments come out of the mouths of parents when speaking of their children that made me literally cringe.  Things like…”this is the baby of the family…he was a mistake” or “this one came along years later, and she was a slip-up” or “we didn’t really want anymore children, but accidents happen” or “this is our middle child…they never have amounted to much”.  Should any of God’s creation ever be described as an accident, mistake, slip-up, or worthless?

I hold the belief that every, single person has value and worth.  I also firmly trust the wisdom and providential care of Almighty God.  If a baby is born, it is because He allowed it to be conceived, His hands formed it in the womb, and He caused it to grow and live and thrive until the time of its entrance into the world.  I’ll even take it a step further…I believe you and I and every other person ever born were in the mind of Almighty God before He ever allowed our parents to come together to aid in the creation process.  Jeremiah 1:4, 5 is the foundation of this belief.  It says, “Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”  Before I formed thee in the belly…did you catch that?

You are no accident.  Your life didn’t “just happen” or “come along at the wrong time” or whatever other lies you may have heard while growing up.  The reason I cringe when I hear parents say things like this is because I know and have seen the long-term repercussions of hearing this kind of talk.  It resonates.  It is deemed true, without question.  And it leads to feelings of worthlessness and causes the lack of initiative to even try, as an adult. 

I have spent years of trying to reaffirm the worth and value of someone I love.  They were fed lies as a child and told they were lazy and would never amount to anything and constantly put down and degraded.  So, the grown-up person I look at and love and see as a complete success, never believe me when I tell them how proud I am of them, how special they are, and what great things they have accomplished and have yet to conquer.  Each time they do something that makes me especially impressed and I quickly tell them so, they pass it off as nothing and start pointing out of all the flaws and discrepancies.  I don’t know if they will ever truly see the beautiful creation they really are, or really believe how much I love them, or ever think they are worth anything at all. 

God never made anything bad or worthless or imperfect.  We base our total worth on our weight, our complexion, our hair, our body shape, our education, the happiness and stability of our marriage, other people’s opinion of us, our job and career, how we measure when stacked next to our friends, how much money we have accumulated, and a host of other unrealistic units of measurement.  God doesn’t see us that way at all.  His eye of love was on us long before we were even conceived! 

You are valuable.  You have great worth in the sight of God.  When He created you, He surveyed His creation, and “He saw that it was very good”, just as He did on each of the six days of creation described in Genesis 1.  He sees you as beautiful, and you are worth more to Him than He valued His Own Son.  Did you ever think about that?  He doesn’t look at how overweight you might be, how frumpy you perceive yourself, how many times you’ve failed and fallen short, or how uncoordinated or un-athletic you are.  He doesn’t compare you to your successful sibling(s) who seem to have it all together and seem to continually inherit the praises of your parents, while they seem to constantly look at you and shake their heads wondering when you’ll ever get it right.

Whose measure are you living by?  Remember when the great prophet Samuel was searching for the next King of Israel?  God led him to go to Jesse’s house, and all of Jesse’s sons came into his presence….one at a time.  When Samuel saw the first son, Eliab, he said, “Surely the Lord’s anointed is before him”.  From all outward appearances, Samuel thought he had found his man.  The Bible doesn’t say why Samuel assumed this, but I can just imagine that Eliab was tall, muscular, handsome, and had the appearance of a king.  God wasn’t impressed with what was on the outside.  I Samuel 16:7 says, “But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him:  for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.”  Jesse brought in seven more of his sons for Samuel to consider, but no matter how they looked on the outside, they were not the chosen one. 

Finally, Samuel asked if there were any more.  As an afterthought, the youngest son, David, was brought in before Samuel.  No one dreamed that he should even be considered…he was the baby of the family, and his lowly job was to keep the sheep.  Who would have thought that he had worth?  But, God didn’t look at it that way.  David was a man after God’s own heart.  God saw his potential, and he was the man he chose to lead His people, the Israelites.  When David was brought before Samuel, “the Lord said, Arise, anoint him:  for this is he.”  I recently heard that during the reign of King David, Israel prospered more than it has in any other time in history.

Do you feel like an afterthought?  An accident?  There are none in God’s eyes, my friend.  You are here for a purpose, and “you must be special, ‘cause God don’t make no junk”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment