Thursday, March 15, 2012

Back Roads & Old Paths

"Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls."  Jeremiah 6:16 (KJV)

I am not a fan of the interstate.  If there is a back road that will take me to where I want to go, chances are, I'll take it every time.  If I need directions to get to somewhere unfamiliar, chances are, I'll ask if there is a back road to get me there.  It matters not to me that it takes longer.  I prefer life in the slow lane.

What is it about a back, country road that beckons so strongly to me?  Why do I yearn to travel them?  What is it about them that calls to me and pulls at my heartstrings?

Back roads remind me of a simpler time...back before interstates and the fast-paced lifestyle we have come to accept as normal.  I long for that simplicity.  I search for every shred of it I can find, and I latch on to it for dear life. 

I love the peace and serenity and absence of fast-moving traffic on a back road.  I don't mind that the pavement isn't always up to date or that the road is winding.  I don't care that it takes longer to get to where I am going.  I love that the path has been there for generations and that it has stood the test of time.  I love to think about all of the travelers who have braved the elements and gone this way before me.  I love the connection a back road makes me feel to the past.


I love the site of things old.  Old, covered bridges.  Old fences that need mending.


I love things that move slow.  Cows slowly chewing their cud...like they don't have a care in the world.  Like they have all day long.  Like they enjoy every, single morsel and get every bit of flavor out of it they possibly can.

I love little baby calves.



Guess I'm not the only one....


There's just something about the country life that comforts me and beckons me to take the road less traveled.

It kind of reminds me of my old, tattered Bible.  In it are the most profound truths.  The answer to every question known to man.  Its history can be traced back for generations.  It is solid and firm and unchanging.   When I pick it up and read it, I am drawn in to a place in the past that is steady and dependable and safe.  It is always the same.  Psalm 119:89 (KJV) says, "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.".  

It is settled.  It will never change.  It doesn't need modified or revised.

I don't want a new way.  I'm not looking for the latest big thing.  I don't care to follow an untested path.  

I want to follow the path that has been proven.  

I am seeking for the footprints left by those who made it safely home.

I heard someone say, "You better hurry up.  Keep up with the traffic.  If you don't, you'll be left behind."  

That's okay...in fact, I don't mind being out of the mainstream one, little bit.  I think I prefer being left behind.  I'll just find me a quiet, untraveled, peaceful back road, and I'll get there when I get there.  No hurries and no worries.  As I go, I'll stop often...smell some flowers, dip my toes in a creek that runs alongside the road, breathe in some fresh, country air, look up into the heavens and talk to my Creator, hold hands with my husband and child, take a walk through a field, and I won't miss the fast lane at all.

If you want to find me, you won't reach me electronically.  Chances are, service won't work there anyway.  By the grace of God, on a back road, following the old, well-worn, weather-beaten path is where I'll be.





No comments:

Post a Comment