Friday, March 16, 2012

God's Glory

"And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory."  Exodus 33:18 (KJV)

Today's passage tells us about a very extraordinary, outstanding experience that took place in the life of Moses.  He was apprehensive over the daunting challenge God had placed before him to lead the Israelites.  In the verses before, we read of a conversation between God and Moses.  Moses was telling God of his fears and of his need to know for certain that He was with him.  Don't we all need that assurance?

God answered Moses in the most reassuring way, confirming to him that He was with him and he had found grace in His sight.

Then Moses dared to ask God for something else...something greater and bigger and more amazing.

He said, "I beseech Thee, show me Thy glory."

God had already descended in the cloudy pillar and spoken with Moses "as a man speaketh unto his friend" (Exodus 33:11)

But, Moses desired more.  He wanted a greater vision, a deeper revelation of God Himself.

So, he dared to ask for it.

God's response to Moses was, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee...Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:  And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by...'

Can you imagine having this kind of relationship with Almighty God?  He and Moses spoke as one friend to another.

Moses dared to ask to see more of God.

God told him He would grant his request.

And He did.

He gave Moses a simple command to follow.  That was all.  God passed by him and revealed Himself to Moses in a way that was never done before, nor has happened since.

Do you long to see more of the glory of God?  In your life?  Revealed to and in and through you?

God gives you and I one simple command.  Just one.  And He will do the rest.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you."  James 4:8 (KJV)

I have been known to pray in some pretty unusual places....when I can find a place secluded, away from the traffic and noise of everyday life, when I see a golden opportunity like that, I am known to seize it.  I have found that when I pause and get alone with Him, I come away so filled...so complete...so gratified.  My family understands this need inside of me...and thankfully, they respect my spontaneity. :)

One night, I was going through a very troubled time, feeling very much in need of God.  I found the most remote room in our house, which happened to be the back bathroom...I know...not a very likely place to go to be alone with God!


But, it was quiet...and still...and dark.  I didn't see moonlight, or even the smallest, most distant star.

I crawled into the shower stall and pulled the curtain closed...I wanted to make it as dark as it could possibly be.  I wanted no distractions.  My heart yearned for God.  I drew near to Him, and I prayed.  I prayed for all I was worth.  I poured out my soul to Him.....all of it....until I was drained and completely vulnerable before Him.  And there, in the black darkness, the complete stillness...He came to me.  I have never felt Him more real.  I thought of Moses as I lingered there...sensing God's presence in such a profound way.

It was so real...so intense...I remember that I reached my hand out from behind the shower curtain, to see if I could feel Him in a physical form.  It is a precious memory....so near Him.  So conscious of His presence.  So enthralled in His glory.  In no way disappointed.  Completely filled.

How much do we really want to see the glory of God?  Are we willing to come aside from the busyness of life and draw near to Him in order to see it?  How long has it been since you really sought Him and felt His glory fill your soul?  It is worth everything you have to lay aside to get it, my friend.

It is really a very simple command...just draw close to Him.  When you do, He promises to draw close to you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment