Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Great I Am


 “…and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.”  Revelation 4:8 (KJV)

Aren’t you glad God is unchanging?  That you never go to Him to find Him in a bad mood or too busy or distracted with someone more important?  That will never happen, because to God there is no one more important than you.  When you pray, Heaven stands at attention, and He bends His ear to listen to what you have to say.  He never changes.  He never has a bad day.  He is never too busy for you.  He loves to hear you pray.  He loves to come to your rescue.  And He loves for you to ask for His help.

When God called Moses to be the deliverer of the Israelites from the awful bondage of Pharaoh, Moses asked God a question.  We’ll pick up their conversation in Exodus 3:13-14 (KJV) “And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”

Why do you think God chose this title and name for Himself?  It was simply “I AM”. 

I love this explanation by Helen Mallicoat.

“I was regretting the past and fearing the future.  Suddenly my Lord was speaking:  “My name is I AM.”  He paused.  I waited.  He continued, “When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard.  I am not there.  My name is not I WAS.  When you live in the future, with its problems and fears, it is hard.  I am not there.  My name is not I WILL BE.  When you live in this moment, it is not hard.  I am here.  My name is I AM.”

God is always in the present…in this moment of time…in the now.  He will always be the great I AM.  He will always be.  There will never be a time that He will not exist.  He will be the I AM tomorrow…and the next day…and the next century…until time is no more.

When God says, “I AM”, He means that He is whatever it is that you need…right now…in this moment.

Do you need a Savior?  He IS. 
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”  Luke 19:10 (KJV)

Do you need a healer?  He IS. 
“I am the LORD that healeth thee.”  Exodus 15:26 (KJV)

Do you need a friend?  He IS.
“…there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”  Proverbs 18:24 (KJV)

Do you need a deliverer?  He IS.
“Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:  My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.”  Psalm 144:2 (KJV)

Do you need a guide?  He IS.
“I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.”  Psalm 32:8 (KJV)

Do you need a provider?  He IS.
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:19 (KJV)

Whatever you need today, my friend, He IS.  He is an all-encompassing God whose power knows no limit.  There is nothing He cannot do.  There is no need too great for Him to meet.  There is nothing above Him. 

The things that are above our heads are beneath His feet. 

Since God is the Great I AM, since He is always “in the now”, existing in this present moment, shouldn’t we? 

Shouldn’t we stop living in the past, with all of its baggage, regrets, failures, and bad memories? 

Shouldn’t we stop living in the future borrowing worry, dreading what might happen, and trying to carry tomorrow’s burdens with today’s grace? 

Shouldn’t we live “in the now”, just like God does? 

Enjoy the moment in front of you.  Cherish it.  Live it to the fullest. 

Don’t waste energy on regrets over the past or worries over the future. 

Just live…and breathe…and praise the Great I AM for being all you need…today…in this moment. 

And if you live another day, do the same thing tomorrow…and the day after that. 

He will be there…He was, He is, and He is to come  J

No comments:

Post a Comment