Saturday, March 31, 2012

Knowing We Belong

"God setteth the solitary in families..."  Psalm 68:6 (KJV)

God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform....
(familiar words from the old hymn written by William Cowper.)

I love the magazine Country Sampler.  Any other fans out there?  I've been reading it and subscribing to it for years.  I so enjoy seeing how other people decorate their homes with primitives, antiques, and other country paraphernalia.  When it comes in the mail every other month (if only they would print it monthly!), I hold off looking at it until I have some free, uninterrupted time....when I can just relish every page and study the vignettes and styles of the homeowners who are being featured.


The other day, I was looking at the Home Tour Edition...a special issue they put out only once a year filled with no less than 12 homes to look at.  It is a primitive decorator's dream!  To see all of the great ideas people come up with and all of the latest groupings.

As I was flipping through the pages, I came across a beautifully-decorated home in Kentucky.  As I gazed at the pictures, I began to read the article that accompanied them.  Lo, and behold, the city where it is located rang a bell with me as being the place Mom's first husband, Eddie, was originally from.  Then I saw the names of the homeowners, and would you believe their last name was the same as his?
I thought...they just have to be related somehow!

So, I began my investigative work, found their phone number, and asked Mom if she had the nerve to call them.  She said she did!  She called and found them to be so friendly, warm, and easy to talk to.  At first, they couldn't make the connection, but later Mom got a phone call back from a first cousin to my four siblings!  It turns out, they are related, and have made contact with my brother, who is super-excited over finding some long-lost relatives.

I think it was meant to be.  I mean, who would have thought that out of all of the homeowners in America, I would come across one that is related to my siblings?  I think it is so neat, and it is my hope that my brother can get together with them, since they don't live so far from each other.


It seemed to cheer Mom up....a LOT....to get to talk to someone like that.  I started thinking about it, after hearing the excitement in her voice, and of course, I began to analyze and wonder what it is that causes things like that to make us so happy.  Why do we have this driving need to connect or re-connect....with those who are a part of our past?

It hit me that it is our need to belong.  Our need to feel like we are a part of something....a unit....a family.  And, even though these new found friends are not blood-relation to Mom, and are related to her only through her first  marriage, they knew a lot of the same people Mom used to know and are blood-relation to her children.  She loved talking about old times with them...hearing names that she hadn't heard in years....knowing there are still people alive who remember....who care.
It seemed to fill a deep need in Mom.

We all need a sense of belonging.  Family is so important.  The older I get, the more I realize that and long for it.  Knowing we are connected with others makes us not feel so alone.  Especially, when we live far away from where we were raised and we don't have a lot of family close-by and it is so hard to find anything familiar or from our roots.

In the Garden of Eden, after God had created a perfect paradise for Adam to enjoy, He realized that something important was missing, and He said this, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."  

God knew that Adam needed someone...to share his life, to be there for him, to fill the loneliness, to love him, to walk through life with him.  So, He brought a deep sleep upon Adam, and He removed one of Adam's ribs, and using that rib, He created a woman.  

They became a unit.  They belonged to each other.  They filled the void in each other's hearts.  
They made each other complete.

We all need to know that we belong.  That there are others who love us and care about what happens to us.  It is a deep, important yearning in each and every one of us.  
To be without that support and comfort, would make for a very lonely, solitary life.

I'm glad God, our Creator, knows what we need.  I'm glad He cares about the details.  I'm thankful for all of the wonderful people who make up the unit of my family....my heritage....where I belong.  It isn't so much a geographical location as it is a connection of hearts.  No matter the distance or how often we see each other, we always know we are related, we are connected, and we belong.  How comforting that is!


So, thank you, Country Sampler, for being such a great, heartwarming magazine....and for featuring that lovely Kentucky home whose owners ended up being a connection to the past of a lonely, elderly lady who is so dear to my heart.  

You made her smile.....and you made my day.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Hello Cheryl.Enjoyed reading your blogg.I lost my Mother last June so this has been a difficult time for me.I am so pleased to bring a smile your Mothers face. I will be calling her again. Gods Blessings to you & your family. Dru & Christene Baird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dru & Christene,

      I am so happy to hear from you all! I am so very sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. My heart truly goes out to you. I do remember reading a line about the canned goods in your kitchen and how they were lovingly canned by your late Mother...I remember that now. I'm so sorry. Thank you for being so kind to my Mom. May God bless you and comfort you as you grieve. He is a faithful God. You will be in my prayers,
      Cheryl

      Delete