Friday, March 2, 2012

A Praying Mother's Reward

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Galatians 6:9
(KJV)


Do you ever get tired of doing the right thing?
Do you ever feel that all of your praying and setting a good example
and following a righteous path will never be rewarded?
That no one is noticing anyhow, so what's the point?  

I recently read the following story.
It was very encouraging to me and made me realize that the benefits of doing
the right thing will always be paid...sometimes after the death
of the one who toiled so hard to remain faithful.
Sometimes prayers are answered after the prayer warrior has passed off the scene of life,
such as in this story.

"From the lips of a young man the following story of unexcelled beauty was related to me a few, short years ago.  It is the old, old story of prayer and its undying power.  He told me of his Godly mother whose little withered body lies beneath the red clay of a Georgia cemetery awaiting the call of the One Who said, "I am the resurrection and the life."  He related how that he and two more brothers had to march off to the second world war, bidding good-bye to their little Christian mother.  She promised, through parting tears, to pray for them every day.  While they fought on far-flung battlefields many thousands of miles from their little home in Georgia, their hearts were encouraged at mail call when a letter more precious than gold would reach them.  She would tell them how that every day she made her way to a special place of prayer up in the woods across the road from home.  She told how that each time she would take a stone like Jacob of old and place it there as she prayed for her boys to be spared because none of them were saved.  The days passed and the stone monument of prayer grew and grew.

Then one day her boys returned one by one from the land of living death....God had heard and remembered the prayer of that wonderful little mother of the hills.

But as is so often the case, the boys went on in their sinful ways, forgetting how good the Lord had been to spare them from the very gates of Hell.  But that precious one had prayed also to save her boys at any cost.

One day mother didn't feel so good, then little by little her health faded and she went to be with Jesus.  Her only regret was that her precious boys were yet unsaved, but she flung around them the cloak of one last prayer and was gone.

The funeral was over and with leaden footsteps they returned to a home that would never be the same again.  how lonely the vacant rocking chair!

The boys now seemed to think more than ever of how Mother had written and told them of her place of prayer up in the woods.  They had never been up there, but now there seemed to be a magnet drawing toward that holy place.  They searched for it for awhile, and at last they found it.  Never has an earthly throne been so sacred as that spot!  They could see where her knees had rested so many times while she talked to Him about her boys.  And there before that monument of stone those three boys knelt in penitent prayer.  Tears flowed down the young mans' face as he told of how Mother's God came into their hearts."
Author Unknown

You and I may never see the results of our steadfastness.
We may never see the answers to our prayers.
It may take eternity to reveal the full impact of our influence.  

Today's verse tells us not to be weary in well doing.
It promises us that "in due season" we will reap the results, "if we faint not".  

It always takes courage to do the right thing.
Especially, when the days are long and from all outward appearances,
we are not accomplishing anything.
There is a temptation to stop praying so hard,
and to let up on our level of devotion and commitment to walking the straight and narrow path.  

But what if we give up too soon?
What if it would only take one more prayer to make it happen?
Wouldn't it be worth it to fight off the complacency and press forward?
What if the little mother had given up hope and stopped winding her way daily to her prayer spot?
What if she hadn't been faithful to place a stone there each and every day?
Were there days she was tired and not feeling well?
Days when it was raining and in other ways uncomfortable?  

I wish the world had more praying mothers like the one mentioned in this story.
I wonder what would happen if every mother made this kind of commitment for the sake of her children?
I know with all my heart that I am reaping the benefits
of prayers prayed for me by my mother and grandmother.
I have seen God's protecting, guiding hand many times throughout my life...
sometimes when I was in places and situations that most definitely didn't merit His mercy.
I am convinced it was because of prayers they have prayed for me over the years.
How thankful I am that they cared enough to deny themselves other things
so they could spend time on their knees....for me.
How grateful my heart that they didn't give up praying....for me!

How blessed I am to have that heritage!
How wonderful that I am able to pass that on to my own child!
God help me to be faithful and diligent and consistent!
What if I drop the ball in my generation?
What blessings would be missing from Zachary's life?
I refuse to take that risk.
I will pray without ceasing for him...for my husband...for many others.
I will pray for the children in this world who do not have praying mothers....there are many.  

Do you know any?
Would you be willing to make a commitment to pray for them every day?
You may never see or know the results, but you can be assured that every, single prayer will be heard.
"Due season" will come, and someone will reap the benefits of the seeds you have so faithfully sown.  

20 comments:

  1. Your post is a real blessing and a reminder to me. I will encompass all children in my prayers from now on, as you are right, there are so many children who never have a mother praying for them. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet encouragement, Jayne. I am so thankful to know you will keep those dear children in your prayers. It is so nice to "meet" you! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  2. What a challenge to pray for all the children. Without my parents prayers where would I be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Lord! I hate to think where I would be without my parents' prayers for me, too! We are so very blessed to have had a Godly heritage that has been passed down to us. Now, the torch has been handed over to us, and it is our turn to pass on that legacy to those who come after us. Thank you for stopping by, Heidi, and for leaving encouragement behind! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this reminder to not give up in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for stopping by, Jennifer! God bless you. :)

      Delete
  4. I read your post in disbelief really... Just the other day, I had poured out my heart to a dear sister in the Lord of a prayer request for my children. She told me that she was listening to a Charles Stanley broadcast where a mother was beside herself because her son was not changing the very bad path he was on. Charles Stanley at first said something that seemed discouraging, even though we all know it's true. Unless a person "wants to" change", they aren't going to, But God... He encouraged the mother to pray without ceasing. That's where the power comes from.

    Then yesterday's sermon, the Pastor shared a similar story to the one you did here, about one of the men in our congregation whose mother had prayed for him tirelessly, but she never saw the fruit of that prayer because she died before the son gave his life to the Lord, but he did!

    The Lord has definitely gotten my attention thes past few days to pray fervently, without ceasing.

    Thank you for being part of the Lord's means to speak to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is just amazing, Karen! I LOVE when God does this! And I just went to your site and read YOUR post and was SO moved by your words. I loved how you brought out the thought about God working behind the scenes to reverse something. I tried contacting you on your contact form, but I couldn't get it to go through for some odd reason. My computer is having issues, I think. But, you just wouldn't believe how much I needed those words and how applicable they are to something that is going on in our lives right now. Iron sharpens iron...we need each other in the Body of Christ, and it is so wonderfully amazing how He orchestrates our paths like He does. So thankful for you!! God bless you!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic post and a wonderful example to all of us mothers to keep on praying, to keep on bending our knees in prayer for our children and family members. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend. Yes, it would behoove us all to pray more and to intercede for our children, husbands, families, and nation, even when it looks like nothing is happening, we have to keep pressing against apathy and praying anyhow. So thankful for your dear, sweet visit tonight, friend!

      Delete
  6. The story you shared was touching to see how a mother's prayers were eventually rewarded as her boys came to Jesus.
    Thank you for sharing with us here at "Tell me a True Story."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it surely touched me, too. We may never know the full scope of the results of our faithfulness to pray. Perhaps eternity will reveal what it has meant. God bless you for stopping by, Hazel. :)

      Delete
  7. This is a very touching post! It make me ask myself if I am praying enough.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It makes me cry thinking of that dear, little mother going up there to pray every, single day for those boys. I am so thankful I had a sweet praying mother, and I know you have one, too. Thank you for your visit and encouragement, sweet friend. Love and appreciate you!

      Delete
  8. The bible is clear, pray without ceasing. A beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such a simple, direct command. God help us to be faithful! Thank you so much for your sweet visit, Michelle. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  9. Galatians 6:9 has been on my heart all week, and your post is confirmation! What a touching and inspirational story! II believe one of the greatest joys we will experience in glory will be to see how our prayers have been answered. Linked up with you at Hope in Every Season -- hope you'll stop by Saved by Grace for a visit!
    God bless,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love when God does that!!! Yes, that will be so wonderful to see that all of our praying and weeping before the dear Lord was not in vain, after all. Sometimes, He lets us see it in this life, but we may never realize the full scope until we are home with Him. YES, I will surely head over to your place now...it has been too long since I came by there! I'll leave a comment to let you know I've been there. :) God bless you, Laurie! So thankful for your sweet visit.

      Delete
  10. Cheryl, what a beautiful reminder of the importance of faithful prayer! It encouraged and convicted me of the many times I fall short in my prayer life. Thanks so much for linking up on Mondays @ Soul Survival. I'll be pinning this and your others. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surely know what you mean...every time I read this, I feel like I fall so short. God help us to intercede on behalf of our dear children with the same level of faithfulness she did. Thank you so much for your sweet visit and encouragement. You are a blessing to me! God bless you in return. :)

      Delete