Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Thousand Words

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son..."  Hebrews 1:1, 2  (KJV)

A picture is worth a thousand words....and a thousand memories.  Just one glance can conjure up long-dead feelings buried deep within the heart.  Just a glimpse can transport you back in time...to that very moment....to that very place....to where and when the picture was taken.


Our neighbor was dying of cancer.  A short time earlier, he and his wife had bought a house several miles away from us, and in the process of their move, he was physically unable to dig up and take along his beloved angel trumpet shown in the picture above.  Soon after they left, it was in full bloom, and it was beautiful.  He was becoming weaker by the day, and he was unable to make the ride back to see it blooming one more time.

So, Kevin and I took several pictures of it and drove the distance to their new home, so he could look at them and remember how things looked outside the window of their home next door to us.  He sat in his bed and looked at the pictures for a long time.

"How are things at the cabin?" he asked as he looked up at me.

"They're fine, Ed.  Just fine."  I assured him.

The pictures were proof.

It seemed to give him peace to see something familiar....in the pictures.  He seemed comforted.  And though he couldn't go there, be there in person, it was enough.


All through the Old Testament, God gave glimpses of Himself to those He had created.  He even chose certain people to reveal Himself to in a more vivid way.  But, to actually see Him...to be able to really get a true picture of who He was...in the flesh...was just a far distant dream to those who longed to see Him and know Him on such a personal level.

One day, He was born...to a human mother....as an infant.  And in that moment, God became flesh.

He lived on earth, as a human.  He grew.  He aged.  He matured.  He laughed.  He cried.  He comforted.  He healed.  He hurt.  He loved....beyond the scope of any other human being...ever.

In the form of Jesus Christ, God presented a photograph of Himself to this world.


Those who wanted to see God, had only to look upon the human form of Jesus.  They could touch Him, feel Him touch them, talk to Him, hear Him talk back to them.  He was the living, breathing image of Almighty God.

I love reading about Him.  I wish there were more than four books dedicated to the actual events of His everyday life while He was here.  When I read the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, I soak it in like a sponge.  It is a picture...of God.  Walking, breathing, living....in a body, just like yours and mine.

I'm glad I am living now....after Jesus came.  I'm glad I can pick up the Holy Bible and look at the beautiful pictures portrayed there of Jesus and His life on earth.  I'm glad I can view what the Old Testament saints could only see dimly from afar off.  And even though I sometimes wish I would have lived during those 33 1/2 years of His earthly life and been able to know Him the way Mary and Martha and Lazarus and the 12 disciples did, I am very grateful that I can at least go back and look at the pictures these dedicated writers drew through their prolific words.

Jesus said in Matthew 13:17 (KJV), "For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them."

Isn't it wonderful that you and I have such a privilege each time we open our Bible to the first four books of the New Testament?  It is just like looking at a photo album of the life of Christ.

I'm glad Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John took the time to write it all down.  There must have been so much they had to leave out.  None of them could record it all.  John said at the end of his version of Jesus' life in John 21:25 (KJV), "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."

Oh, I wish they would have...could have written more!  I read and re-read and read it again, and I am still longing to see more....more pictures of Him.  I crave more knowledge of Him.  I want to know everything about Him I possibly can.  I hunger and thirst for Him and His ways, and I long for Him to fill me....completely....with Himself....His Spirit.

Seeing the pictures just makes me want to see Him....to know Him....even more.

Right now, I see Him through the eyes of faith....looking at pictures...painted a long time ago.
One day, my faith will be lost in sight...the actual sight of Him!
Coming with tens of thousands of angels!
For me...and you....to take us home.
No more to look at pictures.....but Him...face-to-face...forever!

"For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face..."  I Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

Have you looked at the pictures lately?  Is there dust on your Bible?  Feeling lonely for the sight of Him?

Why not brush off the dust and spend some time today....in His photo album...looking at the pictures?

You'll be glad you did.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment