Monday, March 19, 2012

What Do You Want?

"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us..."  Ephesians 3:20 (KJV)


Little boys never cease to amaze me.  Their courage, determination, and complete fearlessness is refreshing.  

Zachary and Austin love to search for bugs.  Give them a quart jar and the open field and they are happy...for hours at a time.  

Of course, I am always worried that they will pick up a spider or something worse, but it is something they enjoy so much, I rarely say anything, other than, "Be careful" as they head out the door, jar in hand.  They've been known to find some pretty peculiar looking insects, and of course, they want to run inside to show me when they do.

I'm not particularly fond of bugs, and to be honest, I become quite uneasy when I am around them.  But, the obvious pride on their faces, causes me to "ooh" and "ah" over their little captives.  I wouldn't ruin their enthusiasm for anything in the world.  

It isn't something I particularly enjoy doing or even seeing or hearing about.  But, it means something to them, and their feelings are important.  What they think and how they feel matters a great deal to me.

We have a little game we play each time we get together.  We get the video camera out and either Kevin or I conduct an interview with each of them.  We ask them all kinds of questions...what they want to be when they grow up, their favorite car, their favorite song, who they love to be with and talk to, etc.  Their answers are quite interesting.  Kevin did the last interview.  He and both boys headed down to the barn in the picture below, and as they sat and talked, he wrote down each of their answers.


It makes the boys feel important...valued...and loved to know that we care about what they think and about what is important to them.  And even more that we care enough to stop what we are doing and ask them what is on their mind and video their remarks or write them down.

As Kevin and I listen to the boys telling us their dreams, their hopes for the future, their wishes, we have such a desire to be able to make their lives go exactly as they hope they will.  To see every one of their dreams fulfilled and brought to fruition.  If we only had the power, we would give them all they are hoping for.  

But, we are limited.  There is very little that happens in this world over which we have any control...at all.

In I Kings 3:5, God did a remarkable thing.  He looked down with favor upon a man and He made the man an incredible offer.  He cared enough to hear what was in the man's heart and on his mind.  He said to Solomon, "Ask what I shall give thee."

He didn't put any limitations on it.  He didn't attach restrictions.  He simply asked Solomon what it was that he wanted.  

Solomon asked for wisdom to know how to do the job that was in front of him.  He had been chosen to lead God's people, and he felt inadequate to do so.  

When God heard his request, this is what He said, "Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither has asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but has asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; Behold, I have done according to thy words; lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.  And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour:  so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days."

God gave Solomon the desire of his heart.  He is still known as one of the wisest men who has ever lived.  He wrote the book of Proverbs, which is chock-full of nuggets of wisdom for daily living.  He wrote the book of Ecclesiastes, which portrays a vivid and accurate picture of life and what is most important.  He wrote the book of Song of Solomon, which is a beautiful, touching depiction of the love between Christ and His Church.  

God didn't stop with giving Solomon what he asked for, either.  He could see beyond Solomon's words.  He knew Solomon had other wishes and dreams that he hadn't dared ask for....hadn't dared to put into words.  So God gave him those things, too.  He gave him riches and honor beyond his dreams.

Recently, I was praying to God about a dream I have carried dear to my heart for many years.  I have seen small fragments of the dream come true, but there is still a big part of it unfulfilled.  I prayed, and all the while, I sensed God listening and taking heed to my heart cries.  It occurred to me that God really cares.  He cares enough to bend His ear earthward to hear what is on my heart...what I long for...what my desires are.   My dreams and ambitions matter to Him, just like Zachary's and Austin's matter to Kevin and me.  

Psalm 103:13 (KJV) says, "Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him."

What is important to you, my friend?

Do you know your Heavenly Father cares about what matters to you?

He cares about what you think about things.  He cares about your dreams, your ambitions, and your hopes.  To Him, you are a great treasure.  He takes notice of the smallest details of your life.  

And He wants you to be the best possible person you can be....for Him and for His glory.

He also sees those long-buried dreams...the ones you've placed on the shelf and decided weren't important anymore.  And even though you don't put them into words, even though you never pray for them anymore, even though you've long ago given up on them....He still knows they are there....very much alive, buried deep under the rubble.  

He hears the cries from your heart that your lips never utter.

He's listening...right now.  Why not take the time to tell Him what is on your mind?  

He might just give you "exceeding abundantly above" all you are thinking of or can even ask for!  






No comments:

Post a Comment