Monday, April 23, 2012

The Pedestal

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus..."
I Timothy 2:5 (KJV)

I had her on a pedestal.
She was the perfect woman, wife, mother to her four children, daughter, sister, friend.
Outward beauty that radiated from someplace deep.
Everything I wanted to be.
Strong, loving, loyal, steadfast, persistent, determined, full of conviction and fortitude.
Always knowing how to fix things, bring comfort, and react to every situation.

Then I found out the ugly truth.

She was human.
She had faults.
And though she had many wonderful qualities...characteristics I still admire and want to copy....
she was not perfect.

No one is.
Upon close examination, every human being has faults.
From the most obscure lay member to the most exalted preacher.
From the lowest levels of society to the most powerful king.
Everyone has issues, imperfections, and areas that need improvement.

I had only seen one side of her, a multi-faceted human being who is flawed...
like the rest of us.

There has only been one perfect human being.
Just one.
The man, Christ Jesus.
He did no sin.
Neither was guile found in His mouth.  

What you saw....that He was.
True.  Transparent.  
Genuine holiness personified in human flesh.

He is the Only One deserving of a pedestal.
Only He is worthy.
No matter how carefully you scrutinize and examine His life, you will find NO fault. 
No illusion.
No disappointment.

He is perfect...through and through.

Everyone searches and longs for a hero.
That one person who is the expression of who they yearn to be.

When the reality overwhelmed me, when the realization that she was flawed and human set in, I came to understand that it is unsafe to pattern my life after anyone else...anyone less...
than Him.
Every other "hero" is flawed.
Unpredictable.  Unsafe.  Insecure.  Hopelessly human.

To strive to be like anyone else, to seek perfection in any other, is to set myself up for a let-down.
Because in reality, we are all flawed and imperfect.

The Apostle Paul said this in 2 Corinthians 10:12, "...but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

Why?

He had discovered and knew the truth...that there is only One Who sets a perfect standard and example.
To try to compare ourselves to others and measure ourselves by our perception of them is not safe.
No matter who we believe in, who we idolize or try to pattern ourselves after, who we look to as being flawless, we will find, upon closer examination, that their "perfection" is just an illusion.

Except One.
Jesus Christ.
He is safe to follow.

Following His flawless example and direction leads home....to where we want to be.

Will we fail?  Will we fall short?  Will we stumble?

Absolutely.

Will He stop loving us?

Never.

I must say, that when I saw her faults, when the smoke and mirrors were stripped away, when the pedestal was pulled out from under her, I was surprised....to find that even though she appeared perfect, she wasn't.

She couldn't be.
She is not to be blamed.
And though she is the epitome of many attributes I admire, she is human.

Soon after my discovery...the emptiness left by a burst illusion was replaced with a gentle nudge in the right direction...back towards Him...the Only One truly deserving of my worship, my praise, my adoration, my reverence, my desire to imitate...and emulate.

He is my Hero.

There are no smoke and mirrors.
No facades.  No deceit.  No hypocrisy.  No illusions.

Just genuine perfection.
I long to be like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment