Thursday, June 28, 2012

In Red Letters

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. 
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
Matthew 6:34  (KJV)

I never cease to be amazed at the wisdom of Jesus Christ.
After all, He is wisdom.
He is all-wise....all-knowing.
Every word in the Holy Bible is powerful, full of meaning, and eternal.
My intention is not to lessen the value of any word contained in it.
But, somehow the words in red letters...those precious words audibly spoken by God Himself...
while He was here...in the flesh...walking among men....have the most profound effect.

Zachary and I were talking last night.
His young mind is full of questions.
Many of them I cannot answer.
As we talked and pondered things we do not understand,
I said, "Zach, I am learning more and more that the answers to life....
all of the answers...
can be found in the first four books of the New Testament.
If you read Jesus' words, you will find the answer....to every question."

"Really, Mama?"

"Absolutely, Zach."

Life has taught me this.
Living a Christian life...walking with Him....regularly making His Word my refuge...
has absolutely taught me that no matter what I face, what I am going through, what I need to know...
the mystery will absolutely be unraveled, and the dilemma will inevitably be solved...
in the words of Jesus Christ.  
If I search diligently...and long enough.
The answers are there....in red letters.
Without a shadow of a doubt.

The red letters, in my Bible, at reference point Matthew 7:7, read this way,
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

The answer to every challenge, no matter how perplexing, can be found in His words....
if we ask, seek, and knock.

We stopped at a bookstore tonight to get an iced coffee at the coffee shop inside.
As we walked towards the door to leave,
something really caught my eye.
Something valuable.
Something precious.
Priced at only $5.98.
It made me stop in my tracks to take a closer look.


It was a journal.
The fact that it was a journal wasn't anything special.
But the words on the front....
 struck a chord deep inside of me.
Made me stop in my tracks.
I gently picked it up.
"The Sayings of Jesus", it said,
and there was a sketch of what Jesus might have looked like on the front cover.

"Let me buy that for you", Kevin softly said.

He is so thoughtful.
So kind.
So considerate.
He is such a dear man.
The best earthly friend I've ever known.
How wonderful it is to be married to your very best friend in the world.
How I praise God for my husband.

I consented.

As I waited for him and Zachary to finish up looking at something that had caught their eye,
I flipped through the pages of the journal.
At the top or bottom of each page,
there is a quote spoken from the mouth of Jesus Christ.
All of them are in red letters in my Bible.
Sayings....words....from the One Who IS the Word.
From the One Who is God.
Who became flesh and dwelt among men...to build a bridge....between God...and man.
Who was human....like you....and me.
Yet completely divine.


My eyes fell on the bottom of page 3.
"Blessed are they that mourn:  for they shall be comforted."
Matthew 5:4

How blessed and comforted I am!
Right in the midst of my deep grief.

Kevin took the journal from my hands and went to pay for it,
along with a treat for Zach.

We left the store, carrying the bag.
I thought of what was in it.
How valuable it is....that we have written words....spoken by Him....
to refer to....for wisdom in our times of perplexity in this life.
What a steal for $5.98!
How many who pass by the $5.98 table really realize what a treasure this is??
Do they just pass it off as unimportant?

These discount journals contain the words of life.
The answers to every problem known to mankind.
The wellspring of wisdom contained on these pages is invaluable.



For $5.98, we could buy the solution to every complex, complicated dilemma of our times.
If we were to follow and obey His advice, we would find world peace....an end to war.
Every point of brokenness in our society, would be repaired.
There would be no child abuse.
No broken homes.
No failed marriages.
No domestic violence.
No robberies.
No crime.

The amazing thing about His words is that they are always relevant.
To the times.
To the situation.

They never grow stale or irrelevant.

There are 150 blank pages in my new journal.
To add some sayings of my own.
Inspired by sayings of His....on each page.

I never pick up His Word that I do not find fresh inspiration.
To write.
To contemplate.
To absorb.
I do not ever find myself with writer's block if I am reading His Words enough.
As long as I am steadily saturating my soul, my mind...with His Words,
inspiration to write continually flows.

No wonder He referred to Himself as the Bread of Life!
His words continually feed, nurture, and nourish the hungry soul.

I love to feast on them....digest them....hide them in my heart.

I have found the answers....to my soul's questions....in His Word.

In His heart.

In red letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment