Thursday, July 19, 2012

Healing Waters

"I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."
Revelation 21:6
(KJV)


Recently, we visited a placed called "God's Acre Healing Springs".
Supposedly, the water has wonderful, healing components in it
that have been known to heal a wide spectrum of ailments and diseases.
We purchased some gallon jugs at a Mennonite store nearby
and filled them with the cool, crisp water coming out of the spring.
  

There's a sign there that reads,
"According to tradition, the Indians reverenced the water
for its healing properties as a gift from the Great Spirit.
They led the British wounded to their secret waters during
the American Revolution, and the wounded were healed.
This historical property has been deeded to God  for public use.
Please revere God by keeping it clean."

On another part of the property, we discovered this monument.


It reads,
"God's Acre Healing Springs
deeded to Almighty God
to be used by the sick and afflicted
by L. P. "Lute" Boylston
July 21, 1944
The most precious piece of earth I have ever owned."

I thought of the Indians who cherished these healing waters,
and how they led the wounded soldiers there to be healed.
I don't know how the property ended up in Lute Boylston's possession,
but his vision for it was selfless and giving.

It was very noble of him to deed the land and the springs back to Almighty God.
For, if the water that flows there truly does possess healing capabilities, 
we all know Who added the healing ingredients to the water.

As I stood there,
I felt like I was standing on sacred ground.

I wonder how many sick and afflicted people have visited
these grounds and gathered water over the years....
searching, hoping, longing
to be healed of their infirmities.

It is my heart's hope that each one who came received what they were seeking.
I hope every, single one of them were completely healed
and that they went on to live long, healthy, thriving lives.

We felt thirsty.
Zach didn't want to wait,
so he cupped his hands and drank
until he was thirsty no more.


The water was clean and clear....
it was refreshing...
to look at and drink.
It has been there for many years,
yet it still flows.
It still contains the same quality of life-sustaining water.
People still come there from countless places far and near
to take a drink...
and take some home.

That same day we cried a lot....
missing Mom.
She would have liked being there with us.
She would have enjoyed the water.
And though our physical thirst was quenched,
it had no power to heal the pain in our heart.
Even though we were no longer thirsty,
we still longed for healing as we drove away.

Made me think 
of another healing water source.
A source that permanently quenches the spiritual thirst of all who drink it.
A source that has flowed for centuries,
yet is still infused with the same quality,
the same consistency,
the same potency...
as always.

It has never run dry.
It has never come up short.
It has healed countless millions who have sought a cure in its waters.

I wonder just how many sick and afflicted people with shattered lives have visited
this fountain over the years....
searching, hoping, longing
for their lives to be changed.

No one....
not one person,
has ever walked away disappointed.
No one has ever left thirsty.

One day Jesus was tired and sat down on Jacob's well.
A Samaritan woman came to draw water,
and Jesus asked her for a drink.
She was surprised, because the Jews didn't have anything to do with the Samaritans.
There was an age-old, unresolved feud between the two.
Jesus came to change all of that,
and He began a conversation with her.
He told her that He had living water,
and that it would be
"a well of water springing up into everlasting life"
in the heart of all who drank it.

The woman believed on Jesus that day,
took her own spiritual drink from the living water He provided,
and her life was never the same.

Do you know that after all these years,
that same living water is still available?

"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters,
and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat..."
Isaiah 55:1 (KJV)

This is an open invitation.
An offer too good to be refused.
To anyone and everyone....
at no charge.

There are no restrictions.
It is a universal appeal....
it is free.

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.
And let him that heareth say, Come.
And let him that is athirst come.
And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
Revelation 22:17 (KJV)

There are many wells in this world....
both physical and spiritual.

Wells that offer a cure for thirst...
comfort for a broken heart,
a fix for the deep longing inside all of us.
But every cure this world offers is only a temporary solution....
to a permanent problem.

When it wears off,
we find ourselves empty-handed and unfailingly thirsty again.

There is something more.
There is a permanent quench for the most deep-seated thirst
in the heart of each one of us.

Jesus called it living water.

The offer He made to the woman at the well,
still stands.
The invitation will still be honored....
for you and me.

There are healing properties in this water....
that Jesus offers....
for the whole human composition.
Yes, it absolutely cleanses the heart from the darkest, most ugly sin.
But, it also heals the internal wounds that are hidden far beneath the surface.
A drink from this water will calm the most rattled of nerves.
It will soothe the most torn, raw emotions.
It will heal....everything in need of being cured.

It is living water.
Just one drink fills the heart with hope...
and a sense of deep-settled peace.

We came home from God's Acre Healing Springs,
and I went to the fountain....
this spiritual healing stream...
that I have visited and resorted to so many times.

It is the fountain that Zechariah prophesied about
in Zechariah 13:1.
The one that Jesus opened in the house of God
when He shed His blood on the cross
and became the ultimate sacrifice for our sins.

He died so that we might have life.
He opened the fountain, so we could come as often as we need to.
There is no limit on the times we can visit.

I hit my knees, and I prayed.
I took a plunge....
into the healing water.
I felt His tender hand gently
cleanse and tend to the deep wounds in my heart.

I am healing.
I still cry.
I still fall apart.
Some days are much better than others.
But, each time I feel the need,
I visit the place that I depend on.
The place that has never let me down.
The sacred fountain that never leaves me thirsty.
That always quenches the most dry, parched spots deep inside.
That ministers and nourishes and applies a healing balm
to all that ails me.

I'm thankful for the healing waters flowing from God's Acre Healing Springs.
I want to go back...and get more of the water.
I'm glad it's free.
I'm glad there are no limitations or restrictions.

 I'm most thankful for the healing waters
flowing from the side of my blessed Lord.
I want to go back....
and bow at the foot of His cross...
as often as I possibly can.
I'm so thankful it's free...
and unlimited...
and open 24/7....
to "whosoever will come"
and take a drink.









No comments:

Post a Comment