Friday, July 13, 2012

Longing for the Mountains

"And it came to pass in those days, that He went out into a mountain to pray, 
and continued all night in prayer to God."  
Luke 6:12 (KJV)

There is within my heart a deep love for mountains.
I don't know what it is.
I can't exactly put my finger on it.
But, when I am in the mountains, 
somehow, I feel closer to Almighty God.


I've been looking at places for sale.
Cabins, in particular.
In the mountains.
It doesn't hurt to dream, does it?


I'd love to own one...
just a small one will do....
nothing fancy....
maybe as a second-home-vacation-spot.
Far removed from society, noise, and commotion.
Off somewhere, remote...
somewhere serene...and peaceful....and quiet.
With a beautiful view....
and surrounded by lots and lots of trees for privacy.

There is one place I keep pulling up on the internet.
It is in Tennessee.
I've lost count of the times I have pulled up the MLS # and stared at this property.
The description says that it is a long drive to get there.
So, it must be way off the beaten path....
just what I long for.

The picture that was taken from the view of the front porch is priceless.
Makes me long to be there...
sitting on the porch in a rocking chair or curled up on a porch swing,
with my "Sayings of Jesus" journal and favorite pen...
listening to God...and crickets....
and writing away.

I can close my eyes and just imagine...
hearing Kevin and Zachary exploring the woods nearby that surround the property.
Their voices happy and excited over some new bug they've discovered,
or laughing over the coolness of the creek-water trickling over their bare feet.


I can picture Zach stopping to pick some flowers
on his way back....
to the cabin...
then handing them to me...
giving me one of his sweet smiles in the process.

There is something about that cabin...
those mountains....
that beckons me....
welcomes me....
calls to me.

Chances are, we may never own it.
Who knows, maybe one day we will. :)

I'll keep right on dreaming, just the same.

Because deep within the heart of me...
there is an insatiable longing...
to be closer to God.
To sense His presence.
To shut out the noise...
so I can better hear His whispers.

I usually spend my prayer-time early in the day.
Before everything gets noisy and chaotic and busy.
He meets me every time....
whether I am in the mountains or not.

My Dad was from Tennessee.
Maybe that is part of the reason for my longing for mountains.
Perhaps it is because it is in my bloodline.
He grew up about 20 miles west of the Unicoi Mountains in a city called Athens,
about 52 miles from Knoxville, 
and not so far away from the Smokies.

My earthly father loved the mountains.

But, I'm thinking that maybe my craving for the mountains is 
something more than just an earthly-hereditary longing.

It occurred to me that my Heavenly Father loves mountains, too.
So, I guess it is in my spiritual bloodline, too.

He met Moses on a mountain...alone....apart from everyone else....
 and gave him the Ten Commandments.
He spoke to the Israelites out of a burning mountain.
He was worshiped on a mountain and in the high places.

Based on the amount of time He spent in them,
Jesus loved mountains, too.

They must have been some of His favorite spots.
I counted no less than 17 accounts recorded in the four Gospels 
that speak of Jesus being on a mountain.
Granted, some of the accounts recorded by the four writers may have 
overlapped and been referring to the same event.
Nevertheless, the fact that the events are mentioned so frequently
proves that mountains were some of Jesus' favorite places to be.

I wish we had more information about His time here on earth.
I long to know more about Him...His habits....His heart.

Thankfully, enough was written to give us a nice snapshot glimpse...
of His life, His preferences, and His routine.

He took refuge in the mountains.
The mountains were a haven to Him.
It is where He resorted, when things were hard
and life was pressing Him.
Many times, His reason for going to a mountain was to pray.
To seek solitude.
To be alone.
With His Father.

"And when He had sent the multitudes away,
He went up into a mountain apart to pray:
and when the evening was come,
He was there alone."
Matthew 14:23

He pulled His disciples aside
and went up into a mountain with them to teach them privately.  
Wouldn't you have loved to have been there?  
What rich and wonderful instruction He gave them 
recorded in Matthew 5, including the Beatitudes!

He healed the multitudes that came to Him 
while sitting on a mountainside.

He ordained His twelve disciples on a mountain.

He and His three most intimate disciples 
met Moses, Elijah, and God, His Father,
on a mountain
and He was transfigured there in their presence.

Once when He discerned that the crowd would take Him by force
to make Him a king,
He crept away by Himself...alone...into a mountain.

The final meeting place of Jesus and His disciples
right before He ascended back to Heaven,
was on a mountain.

Mountains.
Strong.
Majestic.
Awe-inspiring.
Breathtakingly beautiful.
Filled with God's glory.

The Creator of the mountains...
walked on them when He needed a quiet place to go,
rested in them while He shared the comfort of friends,
communed with His Father upon them when life's demands were too great,
took solace in them when His heart was heavy....
time after time.

Sure sounds like a good idea to me.
Makes me long to do the same.




4 comments:

  1. I can so relate to all that you are feeling. I have longed for the mountains all my live and have a dream, like yourself, to one day own a small cabin in the Tennessee hills - probably never will happen, but I dream about it all the time. A simple, quiet place to rest and refresh myself spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet! So happy you stopped by and left sweet comments behind. :) God bless you, and I hope your dream does one day come true. :)

      Delete
  2. I an so related. I love and long for the mountains and live so far from them. It has been my lifelong dream to own a small cabin in the mountains. I know Heaven has to be filled with majestic mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right...I wouldn't be surprised if Heaven had mountains!!! What a precious thought!

      Delete