Monday, April 22, 2013

Baby Steps

"Have not I commanded thee? 
Be strong and of a good courage; 
be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: 
for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
Joshua 1:9
(KJV)

I have a God-sized dream.


It was planted inside of me years ago.
No matter how much I try to quench its fire,
its intensity overwhelms my efforts, and it continues to burn.

This is how I know it is God-sized.
This is how I know it is not just one of my whims....
or swiftly speeding ships in the night.  :)
If it were one of those, it would have reduced to a smolder,
then fizzled completely out by now.

Yes, sirree!

My dream of being able to compile some of the verses I've written over the years
into printable greeting cards
and then marketing them online from a real Homespun Devotions website
is definitely God-sized, not Cheryl-sized.

Seems impossible, really.
An insurmountable feat.
Way above what I can ask...or even think.
An Ephesians 3:20 dream.

Last week, I was able, with God's help and Mark Brodsky's assistance and direction,
to take my first, tottering, faltering baby step 
towards creating the new website of which I have been daydreaming.
After I got into it, it was actually a lot of fun.
One night, I had a hard time peeling myself away from the computer
I was enjoying it so much.  :~)

It is definitely under construction, but if you want to take a peek,
you may do so by clicking here.

If you'd like, 
please take a moment to go ahead & subscribe while there.
This way you will continue getting the devotionals by email
once everything is switched over.

(If nothing is written or added to the new site, you won't receive an email,
so you won't be bombarded with duplicates in your inbox.)

It will be a while before the complete transition happens
and even longer before my total dream is in place.

All of this takes time.
I have a vision in my mind....and heart...where it all began.
All kinds of cards...
birthday, get well, sympathy, encouragement, thinking of you, just because...
you know...the whole nine yards.
I see them finished.
Beautifully and professionally printed...with a cutesy, homey little Homespun Devotions logo on the back.
I picture them listed in a particular way....on a Homespun Devotions website....
with the little quantity box beside them,
the shopping cart to put them in,
and the capability of selling them.

God has planted some creative ideas on how the cards can be compiled, 
neat little ways of putting them together, etc.

Today, I took another baby step when I started talking to a local printer
about setting up professional-quality, online printing.


Right now this is just a dream.
A God-sized dream, nonetheless,
but still only a dream.
I see it all...crystal clear.... 
but, how to get there....from here?
How to transform an idea....a dream into what is real?

I tend to want things done now...
I am not the most patient person.
It feels like time spent waiting is wasted time.

But, is it?
The Bible says,
"...they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings as eagles; 
they shall run, and not be weary; 
and they shall walk, and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

Waiting provides time for restoration and renewal.
It presents a golden opportunity to hear the still, small voice of Almighty God...
giving the direction in which to start...
when He says it is time to make the next move.

When babies are learning to walk,
they need a hand to hold on to.
To steady them.
To keep them on track.
To prevent them from falling.

Baby steps are tiny.
They don't propel you forward great distances at a time.
Actually, it feels like you aren't moving at all...taking such tiny, little steps.

But, doesn't every step add up?
Even baby ones?

Don't they move you more than if you 
never took a step at all?

Rome wasn't built in a day.
Dreams do not turn into reality overnight.
Sometimes they take years to reach full fruition.

But if it is worth having...
if it is worth dreaming...
isn't it worth the wait?
And hard work and energy?

God-sized dreams never die.
They remain....no matter how far from the surface they sink,
they are always there...with you....and me.
They continue to prod, even when we do our utmost to silence them...
and to convince ourselves we aren't worthy of fulfilled dreams.

His dreams for us are far beyond anything we can ask or think.
His thoughts are to prosper us and to give us hope and a future...
an expected end.
(Jeremiah 29:11)
His plans for us are to bring us to a place of utilizing our full potential.

Me-sized dreams wither....they wane....they waste away.
God-sized dreams are lasting.
And along with the dream, He provides what it takes to pursue them.

What is your dream, my friend?
Anything you wish for, but because it is so far removed,
you don't feel you have the strength to begin the journey towards it?
Why not consider taking one baby step?
Just a tiny, manageable one.
The first one, even the smallest, is the hardest to take.
But, chances are, after you take it, you will feel so good,
you will muster strength to take another...then another.

How about setting a goal of taking one baby step per week...
or day or whatever you feel capable of doing?
Don't pressure yourself.
Take time in between steps to pray and seek God's face
and hear His directing voice....
so you know what to do next.
Never let go of His hand, while walking.

Pace your steps.
Take small, baby ones.

One day, you...and even I...will reach our destination.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Cheryl. I am excited to see where this dream goes.

    Love, Debby :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Debby! You are so sweet. Your words blessed me today, as always. God bless you, my dear friend. Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete