Monday, October 28, 2013

To God Be The Glory!

"For in him we live, and move, and have our being..."
Acts 17:28
(KJV)


I know everyone must wonder if I have fallen off the face of the earth!
I apologize for the delay in posting a new devotional.
We have been in the mountains with no computer access, 
except when I drive to the nearest town to the library.


I actually tried, unsuccessfully, to post some thoughts God had placed on my heart while there,
but for some unknown reason, I was unable to do so from a public computer.

God has His reasons.
His timing is perfect.
His inspiration is faithful.
He has provided much fodder for future devotionals....
I feel like I am about to explode with inspiration!


We are home, and it has never felt sweeter...
the comfort of its waiting arms has never felt more peaceful.

There is no place like home.
No place.
No matter how kindly you are treated.
No matter how much loving hospitality is heaped upon you.
No matter how much you enjoy and cherish the moments.

Nothing feels like...or better than...coming home.


We walked in tonight...our arms loaded down and dog-tired.
The sweet, familiar smells of home greeted us as we walked through the door.
Everything was just as we left it.
Just like we prayed it would be.
Glory be to God.

God means more to me tonight than I ever remember Him meaning to me before.
He has placed such worship and adoration in my heart today.
It has been a blessed Lord's day...filled with heart-worship...in unlikely places.

At one point today, we spotted "Dunkin Donuts" on an exit sign.
Thinking it was the same place we've stopped numerous times before,
and feeling the dire urge for a large decaf iced coffee,
we swerved into the exit lane and reached the stop sign.


Nothing looked familiar.
We soon realized we weren't at our usual spot.

Zach was sound asleep in the back seat,
but sprang to life when he spotted an Arby's on the right side of the road.

"Mama, is that an Arby's?"
we heard his sleepy voice.

Kevin and I chuckled.

Zach is a quickly-growing boy with a very ample appetite.

I remember when he used to be so puny and sickly so often 
from almost continual ear infections and problems, 
and we used to pray hard for this boy's appetite.

God is absolutely faithful.

Zachary loves to eat.

"Can I get two Cravin' Chicken sandwiches?
Can we stop?"

We all three laughed.

Who can deny this little guy??

Not Kevin.
Not me.

We pulled into Arby's,
went in and placed our order,
and right away, I noticed something pleasantly surprising.

Worshipful, praise music was flowing from the overhead speakers.

"Did you hear that, Mama?"
Zach asked when I reached the table he had chosen.

"Yeah, Zach, I heard."

Kevin joined us carrying our tray, and we brought it to his attention.

I sat there listening to the lyrics pouring through the speakers, 
wondering if anyone else was soaking it in like I was.

Soon, I heard those dear, familiar notes on the piano....
just hearing those first few notes brings tears to my eyes...
almost every time.




As I listened, I found it hard to keep my hands down...by my side.
I felt a deep impulse to stand up and raise both hands Heavenward
and praise the One Who has broken my chains...
the One Chris Tomlin was singing about.
There is just something about that song that makes it hard to not praise Him.

I started thinking about all of the binding, tormenting, debilitating chains He has broken...right off of me.
How He has set me free.
How He has changed my life.
Given me peace...that passes all human understanding.
Filled my defeated heart with an extra-ordinary, all-encompassing hope.
How the intense heat of the fiery furnaces through which I've passed
 have served one Divine purpose....
to completely sever and burn off every binding rope.

I tell you, I found it hard to sit still today...in that Arby's booth.

I restrained myself....but only outwardly.
The only outward show you would have discerned had you been there 
were the tears coursing down my cheeks.
I could no more hold them in than I could control the ocean's tide.
Something had to give.
A way had to be made for the praise to escape my inmost spirit.
I had a full-blown worship service...that bubbled up from the inside out....
right there in that spot.
It became holy ground.

My eyes met Kevin's.
I saw a perfectly-mirrored image....
of what was going on inside of me.
He felt it, too.

"I love this song", he softly said.

"Me, too" was all I could muster.

I walked to the counter and asked to speak to the manager.

"You wanted to speak with me?" she seemed a bit nervous...
like she was bracing herself for a complaint.

"I wanted to tell you how very much I appreciate the music you play in here."

Relief spread across her face.

"Oh, me, too!
I love it."

We talked a bit more about how it had affected and moved me.

As I walked away, she stood there...smiling...promising to pass along my comments.

I left there overwhelmingly full....not only from the Beef N' Cheddar, mind you.
My soul was filled.

God meets us anywhere we are.


We need not always be seated in a church pew.
We don't have to be surrounded by the righteous.
He can furnish a table for us in the driest, most wilderness-like surroundings.

I love finding a quiet spot....alone with Him...by the side of the road...
to pause and turn my face towards the sky.


It all depends on how hungry...and thirsty....we are for Him.

Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly.

I am loving living that abundant life....
in His favor.....
in His presence....
unshackled and chain-free, bless His wonderful name!
No matter where I am,
what I am doing,
or who I am with.

He is with me.
A constant, streaming Source....
of life, joy, and peace.

No God, no peace.
Know God, know peace.
Author Unknown


I'm glad we took the "wrong" exit and ended up at Arby's today.
I'm thankful for the beautiful worship I enjoyed there.
I'm even more grateful to be home.

Thank You, Sweet Jesus....
thank You from the bottom of my grateful, worship-filled heart!

2 comments:

  1. I love this song too! And like you, I'm reminded of my chain-free life daily. You have a wonderful way of writing my dear new friend. God has certainly blessed you with the gift of words. That is definitely NOT my gift. I often struggle to make myself understood by others. But He knows my heart and so I'm content.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your dear heart! You have blessed me so much today by your dear, kind, sweet words. I am so happy to have met you! To God be ALL the glory! I can do nothing without Him. You are a precious new friend, and I appreciate you so very much. Love, Cheryl

      Delete