Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Buying The Lie

"Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding."
Proverbs 23:23
(KJV)

How many times have you bought the lie?


"You're not pretty enough."
"You can't do it."
"You'll never amount to anything."
"You're too fat."
"You're too skinny."
"No one cares."
"You're just a failure."
"No one will ever love you."
"No one is as messed up as you."
"You're too old."
"It's too late."
"You're too young."
"You'll never get it right."
"You'll never overcome addiction."
"Life will never get any better."
"You'll always be miserable."
"No one will ever find you attractive."
"The best years are behind you."
"You're just a lost cause."
"You'll never lose the weight."
"You'll never reach your goal."
"You are hopeless."

Or the worst lie EVER, ever told....
"God doesn't love you."

Ever heard that one?

I have.
I have heard just about every lie mentioned above....
with few exceptions, especially the one about "you're too skinny"!
I don't think I've ever been accused of that one!  :)

But, seriously.
I've not only heard the lies.
I've bought them.
Hook, line, and sinker.
Been thoroughly convinced and left hopeless in their aftermath.


I remember one time we were in church on our knees praying,
and satan slipped right in beside me on the pew and said,
"God doesn't love you.
He loves everyone else.
You are always telling people that.
It is true for everyone else.
Not for you.
You're the exception.
He doesn't love you."

What a black, mean-spirited, ugly thing to say to someone!
This...right before I was scheduled to stand up and minister....
to those who needed encouragement...
those who needed to believe God's love...
those who were hurting inside.

His timing could not have been worse.

Unfortunately, satan knows what works.
He's had a lot of experience...not only on the big scale,
but, individually.
He knows what works on you...and me.
What he tries on someone else may have little affect on me.
But, he knows what buttons to push on every, individual person.

I knelt there listening to him for most of the duration of the prayer.
When satan has you by the ear and realizes you are paying attention and buying into 
what he has to say, he kicks it into overdrive.

Sure enough, he pushed the right...or should I say wrong buttons.
He badgered and buffeted and beat me up to the point that I was near complete defeat.
He threw up the past, forcefully reminding me of my near-hopeless inadequacies.

How could I stand up, smile, and proclaim the glad tidings
when I believed it was true for everyone else,
but not for me?
How could I make it come across as credible,
when I, myself, was feeling unloved and worthless?

Anyone knows it is near-impossible to sell something unless you completely believe in it.

It took everything I had within me to do what I needed to do.
Self-control took on a whole new meaning for me,
as I realized I had to completely subdue the way I was feeling,
press forward,
and speak what I theoretically know is true...
in the midst of swirling lies.

I am appalled at satan's nerve.
At his audacity.
At his complete unbiased and non-discriminatory choices.
It doesn't matter if you are in church, in the midst of Christians,
or in the world, surrounded by non-believers....
off by yourself someplace remote and quiet,
or in a crowded, noisy, populated place.
It doesn't matter to him.
He will attack....with force and without warning.

The verse today says, "Buy the truth, and sell it not".
It also encourages us to buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.
But, never do we ever read that we are to buy the lie.

The truth is that God does love us...yes, even me.
He loves even me.
Oh, the glory of that wonderful truth!
How it thrills and fills my inmost soul!
Or as the old George Beverly Shea song says, 
"The wonder of it all!  The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
The wonder of it all!  The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me."

And, I love Chris Tomlin's version of "I Stand Amazed (in the presence)",
written by Charles H. Gabriel.




There are millions upon millions of lies being told every day.
To people just like you...and me.
Lies told by the one Jesus warned us and said this about,
"Ye are of your father the devil...he was a murderer from the beginning, 
and abode not in the truth, 
because there is no truth in him. 
When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: 
for he is a liar, and the father of it."
John 8:44

Did you catch all of that?
"He was a murderer from the beginning."

How many times have you been his victim?
Left completely slain and shattered in the wake of his murderous, heinous behavior.
He comes to us only to steal, kill, and destroy everything good.
Unfortunately, he is aware of our esteem issues....
how down on ourselves we can be...
and the low opinions of ourselves that we insist upon clinging to so tightly.

So, he uses these weapons against us...
to hamper our enthusiasm,
break our spirit,
and annihilate our hope and our dreams.

A murderer.

Jesus lumped satan's murderous spirit right in there in the same verse with his lying nature.
Because lies hurt.
Lies kill.
They render us incapable of performing what God is calling us to do.

"...and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him..."

The truth is not in our adversary.
Not a drop.
If you searched every thread of the fabric of his being,
you would find NO TRUTH.
Not a shred.

"...When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own..."

Listen close.
Here is one major weapon...we can turn back on him.
The next time he comes to you intent upon tearing you down,
breaking your resolve,
eating away at your zeal,
tell him he is all the things he accuses you of being.
Tell him he is speaking of his own.
Tell him that is what Jesus said.
Tell him he is the one who is ugly,
who is a failure,
who lost the battle forever when Jesus died on the cross,
then came out of that tomb on Easter morning alive, glorified, and triumphant!

As the quote goes,
"When satan reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future."
Author Unknown

I add to that....
When satan reminds you of your inadequacies, failures, and defeats,
remind him what a failure he is....
that he was incapable of breaking our Lord and foiling salvation's plan,
he completely failed on resurrection morning,
and he is ultimately the biggest loser of all.

His future is bleak indeed.
Yours is bright.
Don't buy another one of his lies.

Here's the Gospel truth....
you, my dear and precious friend, are a child of the king. Psalm 45:13
You are beautiful in His sight. Psalm 149:4


You are worth more to God than His Own life. John 3:16
You can do absolutely all things through Christ Who gives you strength. Philippians 4:13
SomeOne loves you more than anything in this world...
and gave it all up....and Heaven, too...so you could live with Him eternally. Romans 8:32
You are more than a conqueror through Him that loves you unconditionally,
perpetually, consistently, and whole-heartedly.  Romans 8:37
Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.  I John 4:4
You are healed.  I Peter 2:24
You are whole.  Matthew 9:22
It is just going to get better and better for you from now on
because every step you take gets you one step closer to the beautiful mansion
He went away to prepare for you. John 14:2

Sure, you will be tried and tested...all along the way.
There are things inside all of us that need to be flushed...
hence, the purifying process.
The you....the deep-inside-you...is being made more beautiful as you go.
Every trial is purging your dross.
Every test is proving your faithfulness and making you stronger.
As He prepares your mansion for you,
He is preparing you for your mansion.

You are virtuous and valued far above rubies to Him (Proverbs 31:10)...
so much so, that He will go to any necessary means to fit you to dwell with Him forever.


Make the choice today to buy the truth.
But what is real.
Don't sell it for any lie the enemy offers as an exchange.
Don't sell it for anything.
Hold on tight, and don't let it go.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
Buy what He says.
Every word of it.

Stop buying the lies.
You are beyond precious to God,
and He has done everything He could possibly do to prove it.
Buy that.

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you bought the truth and shared to us.
    Thanks for the truth and encouragement from God's words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend, you are such a consistent blessing and encouragement to me! Thank you so much for every kind word. May the dear Lord bless you and yours this Thanksgiving Day and always! Love, Cheryl

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. God bless you, Bekki! Love, Cheryl

      Delete
  3. Yes we must learn to recognize the liar and understand that immediately we can turn to Jesus and listen to HIS truth. Thank you for sharing with us here at "Tell Me a Story." This is Hazel and I am having trouble with my computer and am using Roberts site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Hazel, for stopping by today! Love and blessings to you, Cheryl

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this - I am grateful for the reminder, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you stopped by, Lisha! Have a blessed day in Him! Love, Cheryl

      Delete
  5. Fighting those ugly lies with God's truth is the key, and you do it so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for His Word...the Sword of the Spirit! It conquers every time. :) Thank you for your sweet comment and visit today. Love, Cheryl

      Delete