Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Perpetuating the Blessing, Breaking the Curse

"Know therefore that the LORD thy God, He is God, the faithful God,
which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him
and keep his commandments to a thousand generations..."
Deuteronomy 7:9

I stood at our kitchen sink today talking to the Lord.
Or should I say listening to Him.
It was precious to my soul.
I love those kinds of prayer times....when He does more talking than listening.
I long for the sound of His voice.
Don't you?

I'll admit it hasn't been easy street around here lately.
I refuse to give satan any credit, so without burdening you, my dear readers,
with the full details of his attacks on us,
suffice to say that I have had quite enough.
I've about reached my limit....
especially after hearing the words from the dear Lord straight to my heart today.

As I stood there this morning, 
peacefully washing dishes....
 smells of frying bacon and baking biscuits filling up the room around me,
one of the issues with which satan seems to take extra delight in tormenting my mind
drifted....quite uninvited....into the pleasantness of my thoughts.
As soon as satan presented the terror, God spoke.

"Your dear mother prayed to Me about that very thing many, many times.
Her prayers are still being heard.
Even though she is at rest, and she no longer worries or feels the need to cry out to Me for you,
I still remember every prayer she ever prayed....
for you, for your siblings, for other family and loved ones.
Those prayers are still being heard, child."

He then directed my thoughts to the consoling words of Revelation 14:13,
"And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, 
Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: 
Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; 
and their works do follow them."
(emphasis mine)


Oh, the comfort that filled my soul standing there!
The fear and dread just vanished...into thin air, as I listened and, once again, realized,
that the God of my mother and father...is still God.
He is my God, too.
Mom and Dad may not be here, still praying and interceding on my behalf 
and the behalf of other loved ones, but "their works are following them."
All of those prayers prayed throughout their lifetimes 
are still ascending to God, the Father, and He is still taking notice.
Not only are their prayers still following them,
but God will hear my prayers...and your prayers, too....just as He heard theirs.


He is no respecter of persons.
He does not esteem one person above another,
no matter how high or low our opinion of ourselves.
God loves us all the same.
How grateful I am that He does!

The God of Mom and Dad.....is still in control.
He did not die when they did.
Nor did He change or lose control.
Satan is NOT in control.
Satan is a liar.
Fearful thoughts are from satan.
Fear is full of torment.  
Perfect love casts out fear.  (I John 4:18)

I felt filled with His perfect love....
as I crossed the kitchen and went back to turn the bacon frying on the stove.
The love of the Father bathed and washed my soul afresh,
and He let me know that, regardless of satan's attacks,
we are in the palm of His hand.
There is no man...or force...who has the power to pluck us out.  (John 10:28)

I feel very, very blessed indeed to have been given a Godly heritage.
I realize that not everyone has been given this precious gift.
Mom and Dad prayed over me...and for me....countless times through the years.
Papaw and Mimmie prayed over Mom...and for Mom....and for all five of her children....
countless times through the years.
I wonder just how many times each one of our names has been mentioned to God in prayer?
How many times has He heard them plead with Him....
to bless us...to protect us....to guide us...to be with us?

Now, it is up to me....and you....to perpetuate those blessings....
upon ourselves and upon our own child(ren) and future generations to come.
The ball is in our court.
Ready or not, the torch has been passed.
It is now our responsibility.
What we do with that responsibility is ultimately our choice.
We can perpetuate the blessings that have been prayed upon and over us,
or we can drop the ball.


In an ideal world, everyone would have Godly ancestors
who lived holy, God-pleasing lives
and who prayed earnest prayers over and for the ones who would come after them.
Sadly, that is not always the case.
On the flip side of this coin, some may be reading these words
who had an opposite kind of upbringing...
one that was void of generational blessings being spoken and prayed for.
Some are even reaping the "benefits" of childhoods bereft of human comfort,
and years of cruelty, abuse, neglect, and hopelessness.
Some are still under the cloud of "cursings" being pronounced by the lips of thoughtless,
insensitive ancestors who may or may not have realized the power of their spoken words.
Maybe you have heard,
"You'll never amount to anything",
"You are hopeless",
"You can't do anything right",
"You'll end up just like your Daddy...or Mama....or Grandpa, etc.",
or worse.

There is nothing you can do to change the past.
But, there is much that you can do to change the future.
You can break the cycle.
You can start a brand-new one.
Because of Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross,
you can break free from the binding chains!


"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, 
being made a curse for us: for it is written,
Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree..."
Galatians 3:13

The power of all lies and curses are broken when they come into contact with the
redeeming blood of Jesus Christ.
You can be the one who accepts His redemption and makes a full surrender to Him,
who determines to live holy,
who makes up your mind to follow Him in every part of your life,
who prays with fervency,
 and begins to speak generations-long blessings over your life and the lives of
those you love, your children, grand-children, and all who will come after you.

Just as you and I are now reaping the repercussions of the actions and words of our ancestors,
so our children and future generations will one day reap the consequences of our own actions.
What will they reap?

Will blessings....or cursings be perpetuated....through the lives of you...and me?

Some time ago, God allowed me to begin to see the light on the power of my words.
As He did, I began to make it a habit to
speak daily blessings over my loved ones.
To speak....not just compliments and positive-affirmation words,
but words of spiritual and physical blessing.
Many times I do this, as they are sleeping...or at other times that they aren't even aware.

Once words are spoken, they can never be retrieved.

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue..."  
Proverbs 18:21

One of my new year's goals for 2014 was to read the Bible through.
I am enjoying it so very much!
I am now in the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy.
What rich blessings!

I am finding that there is so much in there about this very subject.

Among some of the verses I have come across concerning this, Deuteronomy 4:40 says,
"Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day,
that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee,
 and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth,
which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever."
and 
Deuteronomy 5:2,3,
"The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, 
but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day."

This was a personal covenant.
A brand-new one!
Not one that was made to their grand-parents or parents.
One that was individualized and personalized to those in whose hands the torch now rested.
God was still the same.
He had made promises to the ones who made up their lineage and heritage.
He had kept those promises.
Now, it was their turn.
Now, His attention was upon them.
He was making a covenant with them.
The blessings continued...into their generation....
contingent upon them following Him, as their forefathers had done.

Deuteronomy 5:28,29 says,
"And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; 
and the LORD said unto me, 
I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: 
they have well said all that they have spoken.
O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, 

that it might be well with them, 
and with their children for ever!"



God wants to bless us.
He wants to bless our children...forever!
He wants to give us His best.
A lot of those blessings hinge on our obedience to Him,
and our faithfulness to pray and speak those blessings into existence.

I know how it feels to grow weary in well doing.
I understand being overwhelmed.
I can relate to not feeling like doing the right thing...especially when it is hard.
There are days that I do not feel like praying,
and the clouds are hanging so low that to speak blessings seems more than I can muster.
But, then I realize...I must.
I must press through the apathy, the darkness, the heaviness, and the temptation to take an easier path.

(For further reading,
click here to read, What If I Don't Pray?
and here to read, A Praying Mother's Reward.)

Whether we are perpetuating a blessing or breaking a curse by generating a brand new blessing,
the work won't be easy.
It won't always be convenient.
Sacrifice will be required.
Rising earlier than our household or making other provisions
to insure we in have that one-on-one time with God each and every day will be essential.
Speaking faith, right in the midst of satan's lies and inflicted gloom, will be necessary.
Blessing our children in spite of their disobedience, rebellion, and defiance, will sometimes be required.
Maintaining a positive, firm resolve in God's faithfulness in the face of adversity, will be paramount.

This is a matter of spiritual warfare.
War is never easy.
But, this is a battle that is absolutely worth the fight.

Yes, it would be a lot easier on the flesh to just drop the ball.
To hope for the best for our children.
To leave their future blessings to chance.
To cling to the apron strings of the ones who have gone before us
and hope their sacrifices were enough.
To think we are an exception to the rule and convince ourselves that we can live sub par Christian lives
and our children will still somehow reap the blessed harvest we now enjoy....
largely because of the sold-out-to-God lives and prayers of our ancestors.


What if they would have dropped the ball?
Where would I be right now without the blanket of prayer that has been prayed over me for so many years?
What would my life look like?
How many times have the prayers and Godliness of my parents held me in check,
when I was tempted to walk a different path?
I shudder to even investigate the answers to those questions.
Even if there were a way of finding out,
I don't think I would want to know.


The easiest path is not always the best one.
Isn't it usually the uphill path that ends up being the right one?
We may be misunderstood by those of a worldly mindset.
We may not always receive pats on the back, accolades, or applause.

Does it really matter?

I always have to wonder who broke the cycle in my past.
Was there a point in time when someone realized the need for a change of direction?
Who first took a stand and turned the tide in my lineage?

Whoever they were, I wish I could thank them.
I would love to glorify God with them and let them see the results of their faithfulness and devotion.
Perhaps in Heaven one day, we will have the chance to do that?

I really have no idea exactly how it is going to work,
or whether or not we will have a lot of recollection as to what went on in this life.
Even if I never have the chance to thank every one who planted seeds of blessings on my behalf,
I will forever and ever thank my God.

For it is He from Whom all blessings flow.
He is the One Who makes all the difference.

We must press on, my friend.
We must keep the faith.
We must pray...and live lives that will reap harvests of peace and hope in the lives of our precious children.


They are absolutely worth it...
whatever it takes.


3 comments:

  1. I am totally agreeing with you. Blessed and inspired from the words that God has given you. I feel the warmth of God's embrace from your words.
    yes, although I dont have the same heritage as yours, but I thank God that he gave me the chance to start the praying and following him.
    hugs from me.
    joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always such a blessing to have you come by, Joy! You encourage me more than you know! Thank you for your dear words, and I trust God will bless you in a special way! Love, Cheryl

      Delete
  2. I am totally agreeing with you. Blessed and inspired from the words that God has given you. I feel the warmth of God's embrace from your words.
    yes, although I dont have the same heritage as yours, but I thank God that he gave me the chance to start the praying and following him.
    hugs from me.
    joy

    ReplyDelete