Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Baby Obed - An Exceptional Miracle

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee;
and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee,
and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
Jeremiah 1:5
(KJV)

God still answers prayer.
He is still seated upon His throne, 
and He still extends that amazing invitation for us to approach Him boldly.
Not sheepishly, not fearfully, but boldly,
"that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
Hebrews 4:16
What a welcome!
What a blessed privilege!

A few months ago, I put out a plea for some very serious prayer requests,
and, included in them, was a request for unborn Baby Obed.

I know many of you precious readers are faithful prayer warriors,
and I cannot begin to say how much I appreciate your caring hearts and the unselfish way you are willing to lay aside the time to pray for others who have pressing needs.

While there are still many needs,
I wanted to post some WONDERFUL news today to let you know that 
GOD truly is hearing and answering your prayers!
Baby Obed, the precious unborn baby for whom you have been interceding to God,
recently made his way into our world!

First, though, for those who are not familiar with this case,
I am attaching snippets from previous emails from his Daddy, Travis, to bring you up to date and to show you the seriousness of Obed's pre-birth condition and medical diagnosis.

Email #1:
"the baby has what their calling "Transposition of the Great Vessels' which simply means his Aorta and Pulmonary Artery are switched.  Everything else looks good, measurements, etc.  While the baby is in utero, he's fine as he's not breathing through his lungs and there's a hole between the left and right ventricles that is allowing the blood to mix, thus sending oxygen to his body.  However once he's born, he'll most likely have to have immediate heart surgery to survive."

Email #2:
"We met with the cardiologist on Friday and found out that Obed's great vessels are indeed transposed and will require a more complicated surgery.  We're scheduled to meet with the surgeon and his team on July 1st.  We'll know more then."

Email #3:
"We'll try our best to keep everyone updated regarding Obed as things are rapidly changing...
Karissa had 3 doctor appointments today and they want to induce Karissa next Monday/Tuesday.  They're concerned he's not gaining weight "as expected".
So they've scheduled non-stress tests for tomorrow(7/8) and Thursday (7/10).
Monday morning (7/14) they'll see her again and then on Tuesday (7/15) she'll be admitted and induced.
Her original due date is 7/29 so a couple of weeks early.
They said regardless of the heart problem, they would still recommend inducing because of the risk to the baby."

Now that you know the background, read on for the latest email update....

"He’s here!  Baby Obed was born 7/15/14 at 3:55 pm weighing 5lb 6oz.

Karissa started having regular contractions Monday evening and we headed to the hospital.   Her labor was just over 18 hours.

They had 4 people from the NICU waiting in the room for the delivery “just in case”.    Karissa was able to hold him for about 15 mins before they took him to the transition nursery to run additional tests to determine if he needed to be transferred to the NICU.  3 hours later we were told Karissa would be transferred to a recovery room on the first floor and Obed was going with us.  They said his Apgar score was a “perfect” 9 and all of his vitals and oxygen saturation were “perfect”.   The neonatologist stressed that “VERY rarely would a baby with his heart condition not be admitted to the NICU” but the cardiologist said everything would be ok, and  there wasn’t anything that needed monitored as all his levels were “normal”.

We were discharged, with Obed, on Thursday.  Right now have LOTS of doctor appointments.  We met with the Neonatologist 3 times in the hospital, 2 times with pediatrician  in the hospital, pediatrician once on Friday.  The pediatrician has been calling us daily just to make sure everything is ok.  Obed is also tongue-tied so he has an appointment today to get that fixed.  We have another appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow and then an appointment with the cardiologist on Thursday, plus more follow-up appointments I’m sure.

We are very blessed by everyone that has prayed for family and everyone that has provided meals (making MY life a lot easier J )

-Travis

Here's a picture of the little miracle.


I don't know about you, but I had to cry when I read this wonderful testimony to God's amazing power,
and when I look at pictures of this precious, perfectly-formed, beautiful baby boy.

I especially cried when I got to the parts in the email that said, 
"his Apgar score was a perfect 9",
and "all of his vitals and oxygen saturation were perfect",
and the words of the neonatologist stating how rare it is that a baby in this condition 
NOT be admitted to NICU,
and the cardiologist said that everything would be okay, there was nothing that needed to be monitored, 
because all his levels are normal!!!!!

I thought about the three hour span when the doctors and medical staff were extensively examining this precious little one.
Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall observing what was going on in that transition nursery?
I can just imagine them shaking their heads,
seeing that none of what they thought would happen was happening,
wondering what on earth was unfolding right before their eyes.
I can just hear the disbelief in the voice of the neonatologist
and picture the bewilderment on the cardiologist's face when he said all levels were normal.

But, should anyone be surprised?
Isn't this what we prayed for?
Didn't we pray expectantly...believing God was going to heal this baby...
right there in his mother's womb?
Weren't we asking for this kind of miracle?
In spite of the odds?

I thought of this little fellow, as I read Jeremiah 1:5,
"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee;
and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee,
and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

This little guy is already prophesying to the nations.
Even though he cannot yet speak.
Even though he was born tongue-tied.
Every time his story is told and his testimony is shared,
he is prophesying to the nations.
Right here, as you read these words, you represent many nations.
Out of curiosity, I just checked the stats.
Here is a snapshot list, in this moment, 
of the nations who represent the current readership of Homespun Devotions:

United States
Turkey
Ukraine
Australia
Canada
United Kingdom
France 
Germany
India
Taiwan

I just wonder what other amazing things God is planning to do with and through this little guy's life?

Baby Obed's very existence and current state of health is nothing short of a Divine-intervention miracle.
It is amazing that he is home with his parents and family, instead of in an NICU incubator.

Galatians 1:15,16 says, 
"But when it pleased God, 
Who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by His grace,
To reveal His Son in me..."

Jesus Christ and His amazing healing power is being revealed in Baby Obed.

"For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb."
Psalm 139:13 (NIV)

"Upon You have I leaned from before my birth:  
You are He Who took me out from my mother's womb.  
My praise is continually of You."  
Psalm 71:6 (ESV)

"I was cast upon Thee from the womb:  
Thou art my God from my mother's belly."  
Psalm 22:10 (KJV)

"Before I was born the Lord called me; from my mother's womb He has spoken my name."
Isaiah 49:1 (NIV)

Our God is an awesome, all-powerful God, Who can do
"exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think..."
Ephesians 3:20

There is nothing beyond His realm of power.
He did this.
He is worthy of our praise!

And now, I ask that you continue to lift Obed and his parents and family in prayer.
Pray that God will continue this miracle.
That He will send peace and calm serenity to the hearts of Travis and Karissa,
as they go through the process of doctor visits and medical evaluations.
Pray that each and every test will reveal healing.
Pray that surgery will not even be necessary.

Wouldn't that be something?
Is it too much to dare to ask?

God spoke to Jeremiah,
"Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh:
is there any thing too hard for Me?"
Jeremiah 32:27

We all know the answer.
Nothing is too hard for God.
Can't we all testify to that...based on what He has done in each one of our individual lives?

"Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save;
neither His ear heavy, that it cannot hear...."
Isaiah 59:1

Please join me in praising God for the wonderful miracles He has already performed,
and please keep praying and believing for even more.

As this song says, we can't ask too much of our God!


If video doesn't load, click here.

The family of Baby Obed is very grateful to each one who has prayed.

Let's keep bombarding Heaven on their behalf 
and faithfully carrying this request before our Father's throne.

God bless each one for your faithfulness in bearing the burdens of others, 
and thus fulfilling the law of Jesus Christ.  (Galatians 6:2)
***********************************************
The sweet reader who commented below made a wonderful suggestion that got my wheels turning.  :)
Has God done something amazing in your life?
Is there a Divine-intervention miracle you would like to share here?
Some insurmountable mountain He moved or helped you tunnel through?
Do you now stand on the other side of a great difficulty?

I invite you to share your stories here in the comment section below.
We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony.
So, please share, glorify God, and bless others in the process!!

38 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing thing! :) I hadn't heard of this little baby until right now, but I am so thankful for the people who prayed for him. He is so cute! :)

    My youngest son will be 2 next week and he was also born tongue tied, though I prayed and chose not to interfere and he speaks fine. :) But he also inherited "pectus excavatum" from his uncle; which is Latin for "hallowed chest". My husband said that his mother was in every prayer line and on her knees daily (she was a preacher) because the doctors said that my brother-in-law wouldn't survive. He is now in his 40's and never had a single problem! Praise God! Now my little one has the same thing; though the doctor only ever said that he may not be able to play sports, and that it "could" press on his heart and lungs someday. But my little guy is running and keeping up with his brothers daily. I choose to believe that my daily prayers for him are being answered, too! (I also had to have the Rhogam shot with every pregnancy, which they say gets more risky with every baby; and never had a problem.)

    So there are THREE baby success stories. (It would be fun for others to post more!) Because God IS good and He DOES answer our prayers!

    Thanks for this wonderful testimony! And sorry if it seemed like I was trying to take anything away from it. I truly wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my dear! You surely did NOT take anything away from this story...you enhanced it, and your words brought me to tears! What a WONDERFUL testimony YOU have, too of God's amazing power working in your life. It touched me so deeply to read of your mother-in-law's faithful, Godly life and how she prayed every day for that baby, and just look at what God did for him! YOU, my sweet friend, are that same, Godly mother to your own precious babies, and YES, God will answer those faithful prayers your daily pray, just like He answered hers. You still serve the same God, and He has not lost any of His power, and you are His child. I believe God will take care of your little guy and give him a long, healthy life because of YOUR prayers for him. Yes, it would be really neat to get others to come forward and share their testimonies and stories. I LOVE to see GOD magnified and glorified and praised for all He has done. He is such an awesome God, and He is so worthy of our worship. THANK YOU so very much for sharing your heart and telling of what He has done for you and your brother-in-law. You blessed me SO much...don't ever stop telling your story. Others need to hear it, and we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word our testimony. God bless you in a special way for being the special, faithful encourager you are to me.

      Delete
    2. What a beautiful story about your Babies! My 13 year old sister has pectus excavatum but she is still able to do sports and all the normal activities for a teen! And I am 19 and have to opposite with my chest going out instead of in. (I can also do all of the things a normal person my age would!) PRAYING FOR YOU! <3

      P.S. nether of our conditions are to a extreme extent yet :)

      Delete
    3. PRAISE our awesome GOD!! What a wonderful, incredible testimony! I can't thank you enough for sharing it here. God bless you and continue to heal and never allow either of your conditions to worsen or reach an extreme extent. He is able to do all things, and He definitely still answers prayer!! So grateful for your sweet visit here today.

      Delete
  2. Yes and AMEN!! Thank you Jesus for your faithfulness and testimony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise His name forever and ever!! He is SO worthy of our continual praise...such an awesome and mighty God we serve!!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a sweet little one! I will keep him and the family in my prayers! Our God is surely a God of miracles! Hugs to you, my friend!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just precious? So perfect and beautiful. YES, praise God, He IS the God of miracles. Hugs back to you, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  4. God is Awesome!!
    I did not know about Obed til today.
    What a precious baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he surely is precious, and God is truly awesome! Thank you for your visit. God bless you!

      Delete
  5. Precious baby Obed - precious Savior Jesus! How I love the miracle of how He works. I am going to believe in a miracle of healing for this tiny little one. That all will be well. No surgery? Yes, let's go for it and pray big! But even so, we know that God has this sweet one in His mighty hands.

    I looked up the name Obed - and one of the meanings is "worshiper" - I think God has big plans for this one. For His glory will be displayed...I just know it.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!! Dear friend, let us hold on to BIG faith and believe together for NO surgery necessary!! God is a BIG God Who can do way beyond even our highest expectations. I LOVE the meaning of his name! I wonder if they knew it when they named him? How neat! So happy for your dear, encouraging visit today. God bless you, too!! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad little Obed is doing so well! This is a story that hits close to home as my older brother also was born with Transposition of the Great Vessels. This was in 1978 when the surgery was still experimental. I'm so thankful for medical advances that allow babies born with this condition to be properly monitored, cared for, and, that if it's necessary, they now have an excellent chance of recovering completely from a surgery. What a blessing---I would have loved to have known my big brother! Keep us posted---I know you will.

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sarah! I am SO very sorry to hear about your dear brother. I am sure you would have loved knowing him. One day, you will meet him in Heaven and have eternity to spend together. But, what a sad loss in this life! Yes, I will keep everyone updated as I hear any news. I also try to remember to keep the prayer list page updated, in case I fail to mention it here. God bless you, sweet friend. :) Thank you for stopping by and for the link-up.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Amen and Amen!! Hugs to you, sweet friend. :) Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful!! God is so good and rejoicing with your friends today for this precious miracle. Praise God! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise our wonderful, miracle-working God!!! So thankful for your visit. Trust all is well with you. :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! How amazing! There is a plan for this little one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God definitely has His hand on this little guy's life...no doubt about. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving kind encouragement behind. :) So grateful for your visit!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful baby.... what a beautiful blessing from God. So thankful that he is doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, praise God! We are continuing to expect good news from his direction!! God is an awesome God Who can do anything! So thankful for your visit today. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful Baby Boy! Keeping him and you all in prayer! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers for this precious baby and family! And thank you for your sweet visit here today. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  12. He is, indeed, just perfect. Praises to "him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine." Thank you for linking with Unforced Rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise God! Thank you for stopping by, Beth. :)

      Delete
  13. Our God is amazing and he has performed the impossible as far as man is concerned. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” At: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, praise His wonderful name! Thank you for stopping by, Hazel. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  14. Yes, indeed He is Worthy of our praise! Let us continue to declare His glory among the nations, just as you {and Obed!!} are doing.

    May God be exalted in his body!

    Thank you for sharing his testimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, we surely have MUCH to praise Him for! Thank you for your sweet visit and for the link-up. God bless you!

      Delete
  15. This. Was. Amazing! I am so moved by this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you stopped by, Jennifer! Come back anytime! God bless you. :)

      Delete
  16. Praising God with you for the miracles He performed for this boy and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit today! It was so nice to meet you. God bless!!

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful birth story and testimony to the power of prayer! I have a special story about my daughter and it brings me to tears every time I think of it. Our God is a LIVING GOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise His dear name, He is ALIVE and still has all power in Heaven and earth. So thankful He gave you your own miracle concerning your daughter. He deserves not only our unceasing praise, but the complete surrender of our lives, as well. I feel so indebted to Him...He has been SO good to me. I love Him with all my heart. :) God bless you for stopping by, JES.

      Delete
  18. Wow what an awesome faithful God we serve! WOW what a great great story. Obed is so beautiful too! Amazing. I found you today via the Homemaking Party! Also just subscribed to you. Visit me at homemaker-mom sometime friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to meet you and thankful for your visit, Susie!! YES, we serve an awesome, faithful GOD Who can do anything!! Praise His name! Thank you so much for following!!! I am heading over to your place right now. :)

      Delete