Monday, November 24, 2014

Support Christmas This Christmas!

"Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth,
and having on the breastplate of righteousness..."
Ephesians 6:14
(KJV)


I am so excited that Christmas is coming soon!
Just one month from today!
What a wonderful, happy time of year!  
I look forward to it all year long, and there is a certain sweet boy in our household
 who gets even more excited about it than I do!  
The fact that his birthday happens on the day after Christmas just multiplies his excitement!  
May he never lose his sense of wonder!

Okay, so I know everyone is probably kicking their Christmas shopping into full swing about now,
and Black Friday is quickly approaching, 
so I wanted to post a reminder to check out 

Every year, they publish this list based on how much a business supports Christmas.  
I don't know about you, but I take this very seriously.
If a store refuses to use the word Christmas in their advertising and displays, 
then I refuse to give them a cent of our hard-earned Christmas shopping money.  
Why would I?
I not only stop patronizing them at Christmas, 
but I try hard not to give them a dime throughout the year, too.  
If they refuse to acknowledge the true meaning of Christmas, then I refuse to acknowledge they exist. I don't mind driving miles out of my way in order to shop in a store that supports Christmas.
 I just feel that strongly about it.
Thank the dear Lord, there are still plenty of Christmas-supporting competitors out there,
so we all have more than one choice.

You know one of the things that irritates me the most about
their refusal to call Christmas by its real name (in addition to the obvious reason of the fact they are trying to eliminate our dear Savior and Messiah from everything possible)?
Every, single one of these stores see a massive increase
in their bottom line every November & December.
They reap the financial benefits.
Yet, they refuse to acknowledge the reason why.

I have been known to get into some very "healthy" debates over this,
as I write to companies trying to encourage them to stop surrendering to a very tiny block of the population and pointing out that the vast majority of us
have no qualm or issue with the use of the word Christmas.
In fact, we cherish it.
Most of us long for the preciousness of it all.
We still feel the warmth, comfort, and joy of Christmases past,
which includes the fun and excitement of shopping for gifts for the ones we love.
Most of us long for tradition, stability, and continuity.

So, to stop standing up for Christmas just because a select few are offended by it
is just incomprehensible to me.
It is just one more way that we have caved and waved the white flag of surrender
to a secular, atheistic, liberal-minded worldview and mindset.

I have also been known to send emails and letters that contain lofty words of commendation
to those companies who make it a point to proclaim Christmas.

There are two main stores that I feel need special recognition here.
Walmart and Dollar General Stores stand head and shoulders above the rest in their support of Christmas, in my humble opinion.
The word Christmas shows up all over the place...
in their commercials, circular advertisements, and stores.
They are the recipients of the biggest bulk of our Christmas spending,
along with Christian companies we try to faithfully patronize all year long,
such as Christian Book Distributors and Lifeway Christian Store.

Maybe the Lord will lead you to write a letter of your own this Christmas.
Why not take a few moments to click here to commend Walmart's corporate headquarters,
and/or click here to contact Dollar General.
Let them know how much you appreciate their stand in support of Christmas.
They truly do read these comments and often respond.
Every voice makes a difference!

I am so grateful to the American Family Association for their dedication to this cause.  
I know they have made and continue to make a huge impact and difference.  
I rely heavily upon the integrity of their research every year, and I truly hope you will visit their site and use this invaluable list as a factor in deciding where you will shop this year.  


Supporting stores and companies who support Christmas
 is another wonderfully effective way to overcome evil with good.

Let's make a statement this Christmas!
Let's consolidate our efforts and refuse to patronize those who refuse to uphold Christmas.
Let's only shop in stores that support it.
Together, we will make an impact and positive difference, and perhaps all will see that, we Christians are a force to be reckoned with!!
That we literally put our money where our mouth is.
That we stand behind our verbal profession of faith and loyalty to our Lord.
That "there be more with us than be with them".  2 Kings 6:16
Let's do this!!

12 comments:

  1. I think we all need to purposefully say MERRY CHRISTMAS and to write it out on our greeting cards too! Thanks for shaing your thoughts with us here at 'Tell me a Story.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Hazel!!! I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for your wonderful link-up and for all you do. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for telling us about the Naughty & Nice list! I had no idea such a thing existed, but I am on this bandwagon for sure. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are SO welcome, Heather! So grateful to "meet" you today and to know you are on board the bandwagon. :) I just visited your blog...what a blessing! God bless you in a special way, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours, also!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cheryl! I didn't know about the Naughty & Nice list either. I will check it out. I hope you had a very wonderful Thanksgiving. I put a new prayer request on my blog for a little girl named Taylor McGinnis. Please pray for her.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chris! That dear, little girl! I read your post, but haven't had a chance to email you back. It has been so difficult to type lately, I have fallen behind on so many things! God bless you for carrying a burden for the hurting and afflicted. I love and appreciate you, sweet friend!

      Delete
  4. What a thought provoking post. Today I bought my christmas cards. I had to search but I found ones that said Merry Christmas on them! I couldn't believe how hard it is to find cards these days. Most of them said Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right! I have the same problem. I love buying Dayspring cards. It is getting to the point that we almost have to buy through Christian companies...but that is great, in a way, because I love supporting and patronizing them anyway. :) Thank you for your sweet comments and support.

      Delete
  5. Once again, Cheryl, when you get fired up about something, I end up feeling inspired! There are so many things about the Christmas (NOT holiday) season that are so upsetting. One thing that really bugs me is that Black Friday shopping now starts on Thanksgiving Day for a lot of stores. Honestly, is nothing sacred anymore? (Probably no need to answer that - not much is sacred anymore...) I can remember when my boys were in school, and that was a long time ago, I started noticing the "switch" begin. Christmas Break became Winter Break. Easter Break became Spring Break. No classroom Christmas parties, just holiday celebrations. No trees or references to Jesus. I remember how disturbed I was by all of this - and the trend has just gotten worse.

    I'm glad you published your list. We had a new Dollar General store open up just down the hill from where we live. It's nice to know that in addition to getting a bargain, we would be helping a store that supports Christmas.

    Trusting that you had a lovely Thanksgiving, and that these busy days before Christmas will be enjoyable. As to overcoming evil with good? I am grateful for one small baby who came into this world to do just that!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I guess I do pretty fired up about things I am passionate about. :) Thank you for sharing my vision and burdens and for being such a wonderful and dear supporter to me. I agree with all you said, and I, too, am so VERY thankful for that precious Baby born so long ago...because of Him, we have an eternal hope!!! I love Him so!! And, I love you, too, sweet friend! Praying for you!!

      Delete
  6. Interesting to know there is such a list. Blessings in your Christmas preparations. Visiting you from Faith and Fellowship, my first time participating with this group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginger! Blessings to you, also, at Christmas and throughout the new year!

      Delete