Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Amazing Power of Prayer - UPDATES on Baby Raygen and Jakob Cooper

"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun,
Who rides across the heavens to help you
and on the clouds in His majesty."
Deuteronomy 33:26
(KJV)

Aren't you glad we serve the God of Jeshurun...
the God of Israel....
the same God Who was served by Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, King David,
the Apostle Paul, Peter, James, John, D.L. Moody, John Wesley,
all of our Christian ancestors, right down to God's people in our present generation?

And aren't you glad "there is no respect of persons with God"?  Romans 2:11

What He has done for the saints of old,
He will do for me....and you.

He is still in control.
He is still on His throne.
He is still sovereign.
He is still unlimited.
He can still do the impossible.

You and I have the same access to Him as all of His other children have had...and still have.

We approach His throne the exact same way they did....through the opportunity of prayer.

I dearly love the words to this dear, old hymn about prayer, 
written by John Parker and John R. Sweney in or around 1875. 

"The Golden Key"

"Prayer is the key on the bending knee,
To open the morn's first hours;
See the incense rise to the starry skies,
Like perfume from the flow'rs.

Not a soul so sad, nor a heart so glad,
When cometh the shades of night,
But the daybreak song will the joy prolong,
And darkness turn to light.

Take the golden key in your hand and see,
As the night tide drifts away,
How its blessed hold is a crown of gold,
Through the weary hours of day.

When the shadows fall, and the vesper call,
Is sobbing its low refrain,
'Tis a garland sweet to the toil-worn feet,
And a healing touch for pain.

Soon the year's dark door shall be shut no more;
Life's tears shall be wiped away,
As the pearl gates swing and the gold harps ring,
Ush'ring in eternal day."

Prayer is the key, and faith unlocks the door.
Author Unknown

Oh, how precious is the "golden key" of prayer!
I don't know what I would do if I could not pray.
Truly, where else could we go?
Who would we run to?

Before I share the updates, I want to share a special story with you about my dear Papaw,
William A. McCoy.
Papaw was a man of great, intense faith in God and a man of much prayer.
Uncle John tells me about how he can remember getting up early in the morning while growing up,
as early as 3:30 or 4:00 am, and walking past Papaw's room,
and finding him already awake and on his knees in prayer.
Aunt Linda tells of a time that she was visiting Papaw after he had remarried
and moved from our hometown in Ohio to Oklahoma.
She said she got up in the middle of the night, and as she walked past Papaw's room,
she peeked in to see one of the most memorable sights she can ever remember.
Papaw was there, kneeling by his bed, near the window, pouring out his heart to the Lord.
She said the moon was shining in through the window, and the beams fell over him,
creating such an ethereal, unearthly, Heavenly scene.
Papaw was so caught up in his conversation with God, 
I don't know that he ever even knew that she was standing there watching him.
Many people called Papaw for prayer...at all hours of the day and night.
I remember Mom telling me how my grandmother, Mimmie, would become so concerned about him
when someone would call, needing him to come and pray for them in the middle of the night.
She wanted him to get his rest, and if he was being asked to go and pray for someone in person,
Mimmie would try to talk him out of it, begging him to stay home.
"Why can't you just pray from here?" she would ask.
He never would consent.
If he was called and asked, he would go.
End of discussion.
Mom said there were times that he would stay up with someone all night long praying for their relief,
not get a drop of sleep, then have to leave for his job at Frigidaire early the next morning,
Papaw pastored our chuch for nearly 40 years,
was a faithful provider for his wife and nine children,
and maintained a very close, intimate walk with Jesus, all the while.
I remember, after Papaw died in 1979, how much Mom missed her Daddy's prayers.
I never realized just how much that hurt Mom, until I lost her in 2012.
She, too, was one of the most faithful prayer warriors I have ever known, 
and she picked up Papaw's mantle and wore it valiantly until the day of her death,
tirelessly praying for her five children, her many grandchildren, and so many others.
Oh, how I miss her daily prayers for us now!

I have seen, through countless personal experiences and throughout a lifetime of my own praying
and watching Papaw, Mom, Dad, and many others earnestly pray,
that God absolutely answers the prayers of His people.  

Prayer changes things, my friend.
No matter how dark the outlook,
how hopeless the prognosis,
or how impossible the situation.

Abraham Lincoln once said, 
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction
that I had no where else to go.
My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day."

There are just moments in this life where nothing else will do.
Only GOD can do what needs to be done.
Only HE can understand the depths of our pain.
Only HE can unravel the tangled threads.
Only He has the answer, the solution, and the miracle we need.

It is in such moments of desperation that my eyes turn Heavenward,
and the words to one of my favorite songs comes to mind.
I first heard this song a few years ago, and then, recently, Kevin, Zach, and I
had the blessed privilege to hear the Bowling family sing it in person!!!!
Before the show, we could hear them practicing it in the auditorium next door to where we were,
and I just could not hold back the tears.
As soon as the first sounds of the introduction wafted through the wall to our ears,
Kevin and Zach instantly turned to me with a look of understanding in their eyes.
They know how much this song means to me.
There was no need for words.
I had to break down and cry again, later in the evening, when the Bowlings
performed it on stage, in the concert.
I don't suppose that dear family will ever know how much it, or their ministry, has meant to me.
I wish I had taken the time to try to visit with them after the show that night,
but there was so much else going on.
I would have just loved to tell them "thank you" for their faithfulness to keep this song alive.
I wonder what sort of heartaches, heavy burdens, and hurts inspired the author of the song,
Rusty Goodman, (who died on November 11, 1990),
to write these heart-wrenched words?
Maybe, one day, on the streets of glory, I can meet him and tell him how much I could relate to how he felt when he wrote those lyrics.

This song has blessed me SO many times...its words resonate very deep,
and I can seldom hear it without being moved to tears.

I hope you will take time to listen to the Bowling Family sing,
and I trust this song blesses you as much as it never fails to bless me.


If video doesn't load, click here.

Here is another one of my favorite songs sung by the Bowling Family, also about prayer,
written by Sonya Isaacs and Rebecca Isaacs Bowman.



If video doesn't load, click here.

Now for two AMAZING updates that show, once again,
the wonder-working, miraculous power of our awesome God!!!

I haven't posted in a couple of days, so I am going to take you on a journey through the updates,
up to the current state of Baby Raygen and Jakob Cooper.

Updates on Baby Raygen:

Update - 5/27 - Early in day:

The Doctor said Baby Raygen keeps doing better.
They are turning the vent down 3 more time today, and then going to see if he can breathe on his own tonight.
 If he does good through the night, they are going to take the vent off tomorrow.

Update - 5/27 - Late in evening:

Baby Raygen passed his breathing trial!!! Thank the Lord!!! 


Update 5/28

He passed the breathing test and is off the vent and on the cpap!!
He looks so much better.
 The prayers are working!!! 
Lord willing, he gets out of ICU tomorrow, and he's coming home Sunday!! 

Update 5/30
Baby Raygen is home and doing good!!!  
Praise God!!!! 


Another test turned into testimony, through the power of Almighty God, dear friends!!
To God be the glory!  :)

To read former posts about Raygen, click the following links:


************************************ Updates on Jakob Cooper:


Update 5/27 

Jakob is off the vent and breathing on his own!
He is more awake today, and he does recognize people! 
Praise God, and keep the prayers coming.
 God is still moving, we just have to be patient and have faith!

Update 5/28

Jakob is doing better today.
He is off of sedation, his neck brace has been removed, 
and he got to take a ride in a wheelchair this morning! 
He is resting now.
 I think he wore himself out pulling an all-nighter with his mom. LOL!
 Our God is amazing! 
Jakob is beyond blessed! 
Why have faith in nothing, when you can have faith in the wonderful God we serve?!


Update 5/29

Jakob has had a good day.
He passed the swallow test, and he had all of his tubes and Ivs removed! 
Now he is just waiting on a room to be opened, so he can get moved out of ICU! 
He is so strong! 
With God, anything is possible! 
Thanks to Jack Lykins, Kevin Lewis, and Scott Osborne, 
Jakob and Lonetta will be watching the graduation ceremony from his room! 
Congrats, Jakob, we knew you would graduate High School and prove the doctors wrong!
 Our God is truly amazing!

Update 5/30

Jakob had a good day today. 
He stayed up most of the day and stood up with assistance. 
He also got to have pizza for dinner, which he enjoyed and ate all by himself! 
I just want to praise God for the miracle he is working on Jakob!




Praise God forevermore!!!!

I stand amazed at how much progress Jakob is making every, single day.
God is SO faithful, dear friends!!
Your prayers are being heard...and answered.  

And even though Jakob was not physically able to attend his High School graduation,
what a blessing that God has spared his life and enabled him to be well enough to watch the ceremony from his hospital room!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he is released from the hospital and home very soon.

The outcome could have been so much different for this young man and his dear family,
but GOD came through, in answer to the many prayers prayed on his behalf,
and now things look so bright for him!!

To read former posts about Jakob, click the following links:

***********************************
Our God is an awesome God!
He reigns!!!



If video doesn't load, click here.

Please pause and give GOD praise for all He has done for Baby Raygen and Jakob Cooper,
and please keep praying that Jakob will soon be well enough to go home!!

24 comments:

  1. Indeed! Prayer is powerful and you just continue what your Papaw did and it is really very inspirational. I write my devotional and prayers and I hope that one day when I am gone it will inspire the next generation in my family to believe in God too! I post them also in fb, google and instagram and maybe someone out there needs a prayer. Thanks God for all the answered prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet visit and encouragement, Joy! It is always such a comfort and blessing to see that you have stopped by. :) I know you are influencing many through your faithfulness to God. The light of Jesus shines through your blog and words. God bless you abundantly, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  2. Praise God for Baby Rayge and Jacob Cooper! He will perfect all that concerns them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I believe it to be so, in Jesus' name! Thank you for stopping by, Ugochi. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, Cheryl - sometimes my heart just sings at how the Lord works amazing healing! I am so overjoyed to read these updates! And to think of the extended joy of these families just makes me smile. We are so privileged to be able to come into the throne room, into the very presence of God, and bring our prayers and petitions. Blessed, that's what we are!!

    I just loved your memories of Papaw McCoy. What a man of God! I also had two grandpas who loved the Lord dearly. And I vividly remember the many things they taught me. Their faith still stands as a witness to me. I hope I can be the same sort of testimony to those who follow me.

    Lord, thank You for these answers to prayer. May Your perfect work continue...

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise God, sweet friend! We ARE so blessed to be able to come boldly to His throne! He is so precious to me, and I don't know what I would do without Jesus. Thank God, I never have to find out, because He will be with us always, even to the end of the world. Oh, I wish you could have met my Papaw! He lived closer to God than any human I have ever known. You could just FEEL God when he was around, and it was such a comfort to me when he used to come and stay with us for visits. You always knew you had a direct line to Heaven thorugh his unwavering faith. Thank you for your prayers, friendship, love, and support, Sharon! God bless you richly. :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Cheryl,
    It is a privilege to pray along with you for theses dear ones. I am just now finding your wonderful blog! To God Almighty be the glory for His wonderful blessings and His mercy and grace!! Thank you for sharing this and allowing us to storm the gates of heaven on behalf of these families and individuals! Hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jacqueline! It is such a dear blessing to have you stop by today! I can't thank you enough for your kind words and the precious encouragement. And thank you so much for praying for these needs and families. May the dear Lord bless you abundantly, sweet friend. :) I so appreciate your blog!

      Delete
  5. Hello Cheryl, I just clicked and here you are!! Blessings, we met a long time ago we just run in different blog circles LOL
    Well, when you cut and paste from another source you must then highlight it on your post and then hit that Capitol T with the X on it box in your upper corner of your post. It will take it out of its original format. I think that might help you. You then will have to re-space it as you like it.
    Prayer is a wonderful ministry and gift to the Body of Christ...
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Roxy! I do remember "meeting" you before, and, you are right, it has been a while! It is so hard to keep up with everyone that I would love to keep in touch with! Like you said, we just run in different blog circles...that's a great way of explaining it! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing how to fix this hideous problem. I went in and did it, and it worked, then I ended up deleting the music videos and didn't have time to reconstruct all of that, so I will just tuck away this knowledge and try to remember it for the next time! This truly worked and did the trick, and I can't thank you enough. So happy to visit with you today!

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, I love the quote by Abraham Lincoln...powerful. Love of course the southern gospel music. Thanks for the updates...always encouraging to hear of healing. You put so much into your post, you amaze me. It's easy to tell you are over flowing in your love for the Lord. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Betty! Your words were so encouraging and such a dear blessing to me. I can't thank you enough for stopping by and leaving sweet comments behind. God bless you!

      Delete
  7. God is faithful and we are so thankful for his mercy to bring these lovely children back from the snatches of the enemy and for Jesus to heal and bless them. Thanks for sharing at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hazel!! Thank you so much. ;)

      Delete
  8. Stopping over from #TellHisStory. Prayer is indeed a powerful tool God has given us. Often I don't use this weapon like I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true with all of us, Katie. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  9. The songs here this morning were just what I needed. I love hearing about answers to prayer. Oh, the joy in prayer! "And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, praise His wonderful name! Prayer is a precious communion...one that is ever more precious to my soul! So thankful for your sweet visit, Pamela. God bless you. :)

      Delete
  10. Thank the Lord for the good reports. And the story of paw paw really touched - that is what I want my legacy to be - a prayer warrior. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Raising Homemakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca! YES, dear Lord, help us to be remembered as prayer warriors and intercessors for our dear families. Continuing to pray for Amanda. Trust God blesses you with a wonderful weekend, sweet friend. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. LOVE this Scripture---> "There is no one like the God of Jeshurun,
    Who rides across the heavens to help you
    and on the clouds in His majesty."
    Deuteronomy 33:26
    Praise God for good reports! Thank you, Jesus! Coming to you from #EspressosofFaith via #ALittleRandR! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Bonnie! It is such a dear blessing to "meet" you! YES, I love that verse, too. :) So encouraging! Thank you for your sweet visit and words. :) God bless you.

      Delete
  12. What wonderful news, Praise God that Jakob is doing so well, it brings me to tears to know that God has answered our many prayers for both him and baby Raygen. Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to pray for these two. Thank you also for the story on your Papaw, what a wonderful blessing to have such a Godly heritage and I know that you take after him and your mother. Thanks for sharing love to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Terri! I so appreciate your prayers and your dear, kind words. God bless you abundantly, my friend. :)

      Delete