Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Brown Family - ONE YEAR LATER

"Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations."
Psalm 90:1

This verse has always been a special blessing to me.
There is just something so comforting about knowing we still serve the same God
as Moses, Joshua, Abraham, Jacob, Daniel, Esther, Peter, and Paul.

To know that He is still on the throne.
That He will answer our prayers...just like He answered theirs.
That His eyes are upon us...just like they were upon them.

He is still our dwelling place.
Our place of safety.
The shelter we run to.
"The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe."
Proverbs 18:10

God is the Rock of all ages.
He never changes.
He will never die.
He will never lose power.
He will always remain.
Sovereign.
Steadfast.
Faithful.

It is hard to believe that it has now been a year since the Brown Family from Kentucky 
suffered one of the most horrific tragedies humanly imaginable.
Their five year old son, Quinton, was instantly killed,
and their six year old daughter, Makeya, and two year old son, Max, 
were both left paralyzed, when their vehicle veered off the road and crashed into a tree.
You can read the original post about their accident here.

Now, here it is...
a little over a year after the day their lives were forever changed.

Max, Shyla, Makeya, Steven, and Neveya, with Quinton's photo in the background.

There really are no words to explain the depth of suffering this dear family has endured since their accident on August 2, 2014.
After many bumps in the road, and an extended stay in both the hospital and rehab unit,
both children were released and have been adjusting to their new "normal" at home...
until on July 18th, they suffered another terrifying scare.

With Shyla's permission, I will here insert her words describing the incident to me in a recent email.

"On July 18, 2015, my husband, me, Keya, Max, Rays, my mom, my niece, and nephew got into two different vehicles to head for a fun day at the Columbus zoo and a happy reunion with the rehab unit that Makeya and Max stayed in. 
We knew that Max could not get too hot, so the plan was to leave as soon as it got too hot. 
We had our reunion over at the picnic area of the zoo, and a nice breeze was still in the air. 
They brought a few animals over there to let them pet, including a baby kangaroo.
 The kids loved it. 
We then went over to the North America part of the zoo,
 and by the time we made it to Africa, it started to get way too hot. 
We bought water and slushies throughout trying to keep them cool, but it just would not help. 
We tried leaving, but we ended up lost and could not find our way out. 
We kept making the wrong turn and ended up just going in circles over and over again. 
We tried to stop in the shade a few times wetting their faces, trying everything,
 but the humidity just kept getting more hot. 
After asking the 2nd security guard how to get out of there, we finally found our way to the front. My mom told me to go ahead and get the free cup the kids were supposed to receive and that they would go ahead and take the kids to the car and in the a/c, so that is what we did. 
It took a long time for them to walk to the car because the parking lot was full when we got there, and we parked as close as we could, but it was not close enough.
 The sun was just beaming on them. 
They hurried and turned the car on and put the vents right on Max.
 He seemed to be ok, just hot. 
We then started going down the road, and Max started hollering, "Daddy". 
Every time I would ask him if he wanted a drink or something he would not answer me.
He would not even look at me. 
Steven even tried since he was hollering, "Daddy", and nothing. 
I told Steven to pull over at the next stop, so we could check on him ,
but there was no stop coming up.
Max went quiet.
 I could not get him to respond, no matter how much I screamed his name.
 So.. I took my seat belt off and climbed back there to check on him. 
You see the vent only gives him pressure; it does not give him oxygen. 
When I got back there, he wasn't breathing. 
I told Steven to pull over NOW! 
In that instant, it seemed I had no control over my body.
 It was like my hands were working, but I didn't know how.
My hands grabbed the ambu bag, and they started working by themselves. 
I took him out of the car seat and climbed out of the van with him in my arms. 
His body was lifeless.
 My mind was in shock.
 I was not sure what to do, even with all this training.
 Yet my body and hands continued working by themselves. 
I handed Max and the ambu bag to Steven while we were on the side of the interstate,
 and I grabbed my phone and dialed 911. 
They asked me where I was, but I did not know the roads up there, so I did not know where I was.
 I started looking for signs, but I saw nothing except my mom quite a bit ahead of us on the side of the road where she had pulled over. 
I said, "Hang on a minute, my mom might be able to tell you where we are."
 So I ran up the road, barefoot on hot blacktop.
 (I did not realize the bottoms of my feet were badly burnt until everything was over.) 
By the time I got up there, I had either lost connection with them, or they had hung up. 
I ran back to the car, grabbed Max and the ambu bag, and told Steven to get to the hospital. 
He started going down the road, while putting hospital in the GPS, when he happened to look and see a hospital sign that said next exit.
 We took it. 
We ended up at a red light with 2 cars in front of us. 
We could see the hospital, but no way to get to it. 
I about ran across the street into the intersection, but I didn't. 
The light turned green, but the cars would not move.
 Steven felt like running them over and hollering out his window for them to move,
 and then we saw why they were not moving.
 An ambulance was behind the other red light with their lights on. 
My mom had gotten out of her car and was flagging them down.
They came running, weaving through cars to get to us.
 They took Max, and told me to come on while running with him.
 They got him to Dublin Methodist Hospital. 
His heartrate was 192, but his O2 was nothing.
 He was not breathing. 
When they checked his temperature, it was 107.4!!
 He had suffered a heat stroke. 
They threw ice packs all over every inch of his little body, put him on oxygen,
 and gave him antibiotics, just in case he had an infection in his body. 
They called Nationwide to get him transferred. 
He woke up right before they transferred him, but he just looked so scared. 
In the ambulance on the way to Nationwide, he started having seizures. 
When we got there, the seizures would not stop.
 He then started biting himself and trying to hit or bite whoever came close to him. 
He did not know me or Steven. 
We thought it had done some brain damage, and he would not remember anything or anyone.
The doctors thought the same.
He then started puking, with every seizure he had. 
They gave him Zofran to help with that and gave him two different seizure meds,
 and he went back to sleep. 
He woke up about 10 minutes later a different kid than he was just 10 minutes before. 
He was back to his old self. 
They took him back to ICU, and he was himself all night, except he was delirious. 
He kept seeing things that were not there...
shutting imaginary doors, grabbing invisible things out of the air, 
asking his Daddy to get something off an imaginary shelf, 
and he kept telling us that Quinton drew him a picture, and it was very pretty. 
When asked if he saw Quinton, his response was, "Almost!"
 Me, the nurse, and respiratory therapist fought off imaginary bugs until 6 in the morning
 because he thought they were going to bite him. 
The next day at about 11:30, he stopped seeing things. 
They moved him out of ICU and up to the pulmonary floor, where he stayed another day before coming home.
 What started as only being a reunion with rehab turned into a reunion with every floor he had ever been on. 
One thing I can say is, God was definitely there through it all. 
Not only was he working my hands, (they told us if we didn't act fast and just think he was asleep like most parents would, he would not be here),
 but he also had me stay and get that cup before I left.
If we had left just 5 minutes before we did, we would have been too far,
 and no hospital would have been close. 
He also told me something was wrong. 
He also put that hospital sign right where it needed to be, so we could see it,
 but He also put that ambulance at just the right spot. 
Come to find out, the reason the ambulance did not move was because my 911 call had come through, and they were trying to figure out which way to go. 
So, that ambulance was for us anyway!!!
 I am so glad that Quinton did not decide he wanted his brother with him so soon."

I cannot even imagine how terrifying this was for Steven and Shyla.
And, can't you just see the fingerprint of God all over this situation?
He definitely has a plan for this little guy and his sister, and He is not finished with them yet.


I love the way the photographer included little Quinton's face in this picture!


And, see how it looks like he is walking beside his Mama in this one?


For those of you who haven't watched Nationwide Children's Hospital's video on Max & Makeya,
please take a few moments to view it now.
Have tissues handy.
You will need them.
Trust me.



If video doesn't load, click here.

Bless their dear hearts.
It is so heart-wrenching to think of all they have suffered.
God is upholding them with His righteous right hand,
as they face the uncertain days ahead.

If you care to read the many updates that track their miraculous story, please click the links below.


Each time I hear from Shyla or her Mom, Shiela,
and every time I mention their names in prayer,
I am reminded of the preciousness of life.

Life is a fragile thread.
It can change in an instant.
Without warning...and permanently.

It is a gift that we are handed each morning,
and it belongs to God, Who is at liberty to extend it or take it back at any given moment.

That's why we should ever be mindful of how we treat one another.
We are only passing this way one time.
God help us to show love to one another and to look for ways to lighten someone else's load.

Losing both of my parents, along with many other loved ones,
has driven home the reality of what Mom used to tell me.

"Cheryl, none of us came here to stay always."

This life is a mere dressing room to prepare us for eternity.

Please continue to remember the Brown family in your prayers,
as they need them now, as much as ever.
Please don't ever stop praying for them, dear friends.

God bless you all for the amazing outpouring
of love and concern you have shown this family.

A special update on Baby Obed and many others you have been praying for is coming soon!
Stay tuned!!!

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Love and blessings to you, too, sweet friend. I am praying for you and Eddie. Trusting God to keep you both in His tender care. Thank you so much for your dear encouragement...you are a consistent blessing to me. God bless you abundantly in return! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Cheryl, I don't know what to say, as I read this I was just shocked with all this dear family has been through, thank you so much for the update. What an awesome God we serve and praise Him that He has this family on His hands. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Terri, it truly is so unbelievable to think of the deep pain of heart they have had to endure. God has brought them such a long way, and I am still hoping He will continue to heal both of these precious children. They are so sweet. God bless them...and may He bless you, too, sweet friend. You are such an encouragement to me!

      Delete
  3. I truly didn't know this tragedy, in Italy this story is unknown at all, thank you my darling Cherlyl for having given me the opportunity to know it here, God bless you and them all !
    Wih dear love
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Dany! You are just so sweet and precious, and I can't thank you enough for your encouraging visit and comments. Much love to you, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  4. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet way the photographer has incorporated Quinton. Definitely see God's hand in their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't that just precious? Yes, you can see God's fingerprint all over this and the path they have trod. I am believing God for more healing to come their way. Thank you for your sweet visit, Wanda. Love you, dear sister.

      Delete
  6. This is such a precious family. God has seen them through so much. Thanks for this update, Cheryl. My prayers will be with the Brown Family.
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chris. Please do always keep them in your continued prayers. They need them as much as ever. So thankful you got your blog issues resolved. I haven't had time to email you back, but will try to do so soon. Love you, and God bless you!

      Delete
  7. The way you bring this family alive in your blog is just a testimony of how much you care and how much of a wonderful prayer warrior you are. Thank you for sharing their story with us. A reminder that no matter what happens in life He is and always be with us we just need too give ourselves over to him not only in times of need but every moment of everyday! Gocd Bless this family and your family Cheryl. Lilian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...Lilian. Your dear words brought me to tears! I can't thank you enough for your dear support and love and friendship. Will email you soon, sweet friend. Much love and many blessings to you and your precious family. :)

      Delete
  8. I have often wondered how this dear family was doing. Thank you for this update, even though the *latest* was a harrowing experience! I can only imagine the many emotions that this family has gone through in the past year, and the fear that must have gripped them during this latest incident with Max. But, dear Shyla, through it all she has kept her eyes on God, and He has proven faithful to them. What a testimony to me...and so many others.

    The family photos were just precious - dear Quinton, too.

    GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it must have been SO scary for them...almost losing little Max after all they have already gone through. God bless them. Yes, Shyla is one strong, little lady...tiny, but valiant in her faith in God. I know...I cried last night looking at pictures of Quinton. It is just heartbreaking. Love you, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my, what a story! That poor family has been through so much!! I'm so thankful God has been with them. We just don't know what we may have to face in this life, but we can trust the Lord will carry us through. Those pictures are precious.♥ Thank you for sharing this family with us and keeping us informed with the updates....will continue to pray for them.
    Prayer is so powerful, and I believe if we really understood how powerful prayer is, we would pray more! Thank you for your prayers for me and my family. I'm so thankful to know you. Your sweet and caring spirit is so evident here. Will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Love you, my sweet friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet, kind words, Melanie! It was such a blessing to see that you had stopped by. :) Thank you for your continued prayers for the dear Brown family. I know they appreciate them so much. Love and appreciate you so much. :)

      Delete
  10. Heartwarming-heartwrenching story. Thank you for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by, Shandra. Your visits are always a blessing to me. Much love to you, sweet sister.

      Delete
  11. Wow what an experience to end a joyful day and then - -. Amazing how Max almost saw his brother in heaven, and how the ambulance was there along with the protecting angels. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right...it is amazing. I am so thankful it wasn't God's will to take Max away from them. I honestly don't know how much more their poor hearts can take. God was merciful and showed Himself in many ways that day. Thank you for stopping by, Hazel, and for your dear words. Much love and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  12. Amazing. Sure puts things in perspective for me. I cannot imagine going through what they have but those of us who have lost a child know we don't get grace for grief until we need it. I'll continue to pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see your smiling face here, Pamela! Thank you for stopping by and for your continued prayers for the Brown family. It means so much! God bless you, dear sister. Sending you much love.

      Delete
  13. What a story. How faithful is our God! Continuing to pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Mary! Still praying for Amy, too. :) God bless you.

      Delete
  14. "This life is a mere dressing room to prepare us for eternity." Wise words, sister.

    I can't believe it's already been a year. My heart breaks for the family and I'm praying for them. May God lift them up and give them peace and rest despite the pain in this life for them. Thanks for the update and God bless you and yours as well, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It is hard to imagine that it has been a year. You have been so faithful to pray and lend so much support and encouragement...both to the many who need prayer and to my family and me, too. God uses you in so many ways, and you are very appreciated. I am praying for you and your family, too.

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for your care and attention to make sure no one forgets the Brown Family and all they have been through. Not to mention, How much God was with them all through the pain, loss, tough days and good days too. You are such a blessing to the Brown Family. Your neighbor at Thought Provoking Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debbie! Thank you ever so much for your kind words! I am so grateful to have met the Browns...they have become very dear to my heart. God bless you for praying for them and for your love and support. So thankful for your visit!

      Delete
  16. Hi Cheryl! What a harrowing ride! They were trying to do such a great thing for the kids, and then this happens? Thank the Lord they were able to get to that ambulance and to the hospital. Her feet were burned, and she never knew it? That's adrenalin, a huge gift from God. She was able to keep running!
    Thank you for this incredible story, and your absolute friendship and prayer for this family. You are a blessing!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a sign of a true mother...one who will "walk through fire" and never even notice, because they are so intent on the needs of their child. Shyla is a strong, little lady, that's for sure. Thank you for your visit and sweet words, Ceil. God bless you!!

      Delete
  17. Cheryl,
    It's me again. Just wanted to let you know that this post was very popular in my link up party, and I featured it this week.
    God is so good! I will continue to pray for this precious family.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers and support, dear friend!! It truly means so much to me. I hope all is well with you and your family. Praying for you!

      Delete
  18. Oh my goodness! The hardships this poor family continues to endure but God (and Quinton) were watching over little Max. God bless this family. Thank you Cheryl for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Carol! So thankful to see that you were here. :) God bless you!

      Delete