Saturday, March 26, 2016

Good-bye, Uncle John ~ 9th Update on Brody ~ Pray for Glenn Stevens

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted."
Matthew 5:4
(KJV)

It's amazing how much we take for granted when our loved ones are still with us.
When I was little and throughout life, Mom used to sing a precious song to me, among many others.
Since her death, I have unsuccessfully tried and tried, so many times, to find the words.
I so wanted to remember this song, because it reminded me so much of Mom.
Today, praise the Lord, He allowed me to finally find the words online HERE!
I can still hear Mom's sweet, trembling voice singing this to me, not long before she died.
Perhaps you have heard it...here are the words to the first two verses.

"What Should We Do Without Jesus?"
Words written by Mrs. May Olinger and Melody written by H. C. Clausen
(Songs of Grace and Glory songbook, page #141)

What should we do without Jesus?
What should we do all the day?
With no kind Savior to guide us,
No one to care if we stray?
What should we do when we're weary,
No one to tell of our cares,
No one to help when we're tempted,
No one to answer our prayers?

What should we do without Jesus?
When in affliction and pain -
No one to touch us and heal us,
No one to make well again?
Life would be scarcely worth living,
If the dear Lord were not near,
Comforting us on life's pathway,
Filling our hearts with His cheer."

I think often of the line, "what should we do without Jesus?", 
and I wonder what on earth I would do without Him.
He is my Rock.
My shelter.
My all in all.
I find that I turn to Him so many times throughout any given day,
and the comfort I find while calling out to Him in prayer is what sustains me.

Prayer is so precious to me, and He is more precious still.
I have thought of Him much yesterday, on "Good Friday".
Thought of where He was at certain times of the day...all those years ago...
and thought of where He is now, seated by His Father in Glory,
no longer a victim, but the ultimate Victor over death, Hell, sin, and the grave.
Praise Him for all He suffered for us!
Oh, I do love Him and want to try my utmost to live a life that will prove my faithfulness to Him.

I wanted to say a BIG thank you to all of you precious readers who have cared
and prayed for my dear Uncle John, for the past nearly three years, as he fought a long and hard battle with cancer.
On March 10th, the angels came and took him home to be with Jesus,
where he now rests free from pain and disease.

Rest in Peace, Uncle John
9/21/1937 - 3/10/2016

Losing him was hard.
He was very special to us.
And laying him to rest, just a few feet away from where we laid Mom to rest almost four years ago, was so difficult.
It is hard to believe that not so long ago, he is the one who was comforting us.
He was mourning, too.
She was his only living sister, and they were close.

Uncle John and me on the day we buried Mom

I find it so hard to believe he is gone.
The other day, on the day after his funeral, we went by his house to visit with Aunt Linda.
I've walked up those steps countless times through the years,
and every, other time I have gone there, Uncle John was always there, with a warm welcome,
mischievous grin, and that McCoy sense of humor that never failed to make me laugh.
Seldom, have I gone there through the years, and not heard him play his guitar before leaving.


As we visited with Aunt Linda and her son, Jeff, the other day, my eyes were drawn to the basement door on the side of her kitchen more than once.
Oh, the memories behind that door!
The basement is where we would all gather to play music and sing together
so many, many times throughout my years growing up.
Aunt Linda would have a feast prepared and spread on the table,
and countless family members and friends would come and go as we picked and sang.
I was nearly overwhelmed as I sat there and realized those days are gone forever.
Uncle John and Dad used to harmonize so well together.
Their harmony was impeccable.
How I wish I could figure out a way to share some of that with you here!
They loved singing those old Louvin Brothers songs,
and Uncle John used to say that Dad sounded just like Ira Louvin singing high tenor.
He and Dad had that "high lonesome" sound down to a science.
It is hard for me to even imagine that they are both gone now,
and it leaves a deep, aching void in my heart.

The Spinney Brothers epitomize high lonesome and remind me a lot of what Dad and Uncle John sounded like singing together with Dad on his five-string and Uncle John on his guitar.


This song reminds me so much of the two of them.


If video doesn't load, click here.

Please pray for Aunt Linda, as she misses Uncle John and tries to walk on without him.
They were married for 42 years, and it will not be easy for her.
Pray for all seven children and the many grandchildren and all who are mourning his passing.

I can't thank you enough for every prayer you have prayed for Uncle John,
and I know God answered so many times, as He spared his life far beyond what doctors predicted.
Now, he is home, and he has joined that angel band.
God rest his soul and hold the rest of us close.

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
Revelation 21:4

***************************************************************

I received an email from little Brody's grandmother, Debbie yesterday,
letting me know that Brody is back in the hospital.
I will include part of her email here.

"Brody did make it to Duke, and that was last week. 
He got back home Saturday morning. 
They kept him in the ICU unit for two days just to watch him. 
He is sick now, started with a stomach bug, and now he has tested positive for that Rhino virus. 
Jenn said there were soooooooo many real sick babies and children all around him, so Brody was probably exposed to many germs. 
He is back in the (local) hospital, and again, on ventilation. 
I am devastated and simply shocked this has happened again. 
This little fellow has went through so much. 
He was doing so well, too. 
Please pray for Brody to be able to fight this again. 
Once he makes it through these young months, I hear it will get easier for him because of larger airways. 
We just have to get him to there. 
I appreciate the prayers, and I have you and your family in mind."

\

Poor, little guy.
It is hard to fathom all he has suffered and been through.
Dear friends, please continue to lift his name to the Father, 
and also to pray for Debbie, and her daughter, Jenn (Brody's mother),
as they go through the stress and trauma of yet another hospital stay.
God bless them and have mercy upon them all.

To read previous posts about Brody, please click the follow links:

Jesus knows, and He cares,
and praise God, we will never have to be without Him, for He will never leave us or forsake us.

**********************************************************

Chris Thompson's Daddy, Glenn Stevens, is also in the hospital and in dire need of prayer.


Glenn has been fighting a very hard battle since December, when this post was published.
In addition to Glenn's physical problems, he is in the throes of an intense spiritual warfare battle,
and he desperately needs God to help him.
Chris explains the situation more clearly HERE.
Chris is truly interceding for her Daddy, 
and I am asking that you please keep her and her family in your prayers, too.
God knows what they need at this trying time,
and He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all any of them can ask or think.
(Ephesians 3:20)

*********************************************************

Aren't you glad that Jesus has broad shoulders?
That He never tires of hearing us pray?
That there is a balm in Gilead?
(Jeremiah 8:22)
He bids us to come to Him.

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: 
and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."
Matthew 11;28-30

"All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; 
and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out."
John 6:37

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
Hebrews 4:16

I love every one of you so much, dear friends,
and I appreciate your faithful prayers and support more than I could ever say.
I know you all have your own burdens and needs and concerns,
yet, you have helped to carry mine so many, many times,
and you have pushed beyond your own pain to reach out and encourage and pray.

Kevin, Zach, and I were talking yesterday about this blog and how when I started it,
we never dreamed how many doors it would open,
how many wonderful people God would allow us to meet through it,
how much encouragement it would bring to the three of us,
and the way it would serve to enlarge our coast.  
We began praying for that several years ago, 
when we read The Prayer of Jabez" by Bruce Wilkinson, (order it here), 
and started regularly praying that prayer, as a family.

"And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."
I Chronicles 4:10

God is surely enlarging our coast, and one of the ways He is doing that is through this blog.
I am eternally grateful....to God...and to you.
I am so thankful to have you, faithful readers, in my life.

God bless you abundantly and meet any needs you currently have.
He is ever faithful.

32 comments:

  1. Oh, Cheryl,

    I had written you a good long comment to say I've missed you during this past hectic year, and hope you're doing well. My prayers for you and all of you in sorrow and worry, especially for little Brody, as he grows in strength and health.

    I must get to my kitchen, for we're having our Easter Lunch this afternoon, and I have eggs to boil and tables to set.

    My very best wishes for all the blessings of this Blessed Season,

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Rachel! Oh, it was so nice to hear from you today and to have you visit here! I do apologize that I have been missing in action for so long and haven't visited your blog. Things have been hectic. I hope your Easter Lunch went well! Sending you much love, sweet friend, and will try to visit you soon, Lord willing!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, my deepest condolences on losing your Uncle John. Saying good-bye on this side of eternity is devastating. It just plain hurts so much. But, because of Easter Sunday, we can celebrate that our loved ones who have died in Christ, are never truly gone. Our good-byes are really only "See you laters!"

    My prayers continue for Brody and his family. And for Chris and her father, Glenn. This is an imperfect and broken world, and this is perhaps never more apparent than when our physical selves are hurting, and our spirits are attacked. May the Lord hold these two dear souls tightly in His strong and mighty hands.

    Wishing you and your family a most blessed Easter.

    He is risen...indeed!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sharon. Your words are so precious to me...thank you for your never-failing support and encouragement. Much love to you this wonderful Resurrection Day!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss and your uncle John's family. I'm praying for Linda and her kids and grandkids. May He comfort them as only He can.

    Praying for baby Brody and Glenn and Chris.

    Although this reminds us that this world is indeed fallen, our Father is sovereign and which day He picks for us to be reunited with Him is the beginning of the rest of our perfect life. Praying for you too, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much, Floyd. Your prayers are such a blessing and comfort. May the dear Lord bless you and your family with a wonderful Easter! :)

      Delete
  4. praying over all these needs. have a very blessed Easter, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweet friend. Love you dearly. Happy Easter to you and your family!! :)

      Delete
  5. Cheryl, Thanks for asking me about including daddy in this post. Today has been a huge trial, and I have emailed you about it. I will pray for you and your family. Losing a loved one is so hard, but like Sharon said, it's really only "See you later." It is never easy, but knowing he entered into Heaven makes it bearable. I will be praying for Baby Brody and his family. How terrible it is having such a little helpless one sick like that. I know the family is under a lot of stress at this time. It's so exhausting living in a hospital while a loved one is sick. What should we do without Jesus? We wouldn't even be able to hope. He is the Hope of His people. Thanks so much for your prayers for daddy and our family. I must keep believing in the word I received from the Lord! I have plowed in hope! Have a blessed Easter. I hope it brings a sense of newness to us all.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Chris. I got your email and have not had a chance to read it all yet, but am looking forward to seeing how God is working in your situation. Keep encouraged and looking up...God is surely with you all in this deep trial. God bless you on this Easter night. Love you, dear friend. :)

      Delete
  6. Sweet friend, as you tell us about these prayer requests I can't help but smile knowing we can come together as children of God from all over the world and pray over these matters.

    My heart breaks for Chris as I know it's difficult to see a parent suffering. She and her precious dad will indeed be in my prayers.

    And little Brody, what he and his family must face when he is in the hospital. How I pray the Lord strengthens little Brody.

    And you, dear Cheryl...You and your family remain in my prayers during this loss of your uncle. How my heart hurts with you. May you find rest and comfort in the arms of our Lord.

    Have a blessed Easter, my friend. We serve a RISEN and LIVING Savior! Much love and tender hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Stephanie, for your kind words and encouragement, and most of all, your faithful prayers. Yes, it is wonderful how we can come together in unity and pray over these needs. Praise God, we DO serve a living Savior, Who gives us a hope that goes beyond the grave! God bless you this Easter night, dear friend. :)

      Delete
  7. Dear Cheryl,

    It is of course very sad and tragic when we lose a loved one, especially since that person may have had an enormous effect on our lives. We are saddened by their absence because their presence affected us positively when they were alive.

    But let us imagine this for a moment. When they brought down Christ's dead body from the Cross, and laid it on His mother's lap; as she held Him, cuddled Him, and possibly kissed Him; what did she feel? She must have been totally devastated to see the lovely boy she gave birth to, grow up to be a man, and now lay dead in her arms. But I'd like to believe that she also knew that He would soon be raised from the dead. And that should have given her some comfort.

    Cheryl, that's how we should feel when someone we love has passed away. Of course we are sad, but also our sadness should be comforted by the belief, true belief, that one day we shall meet them again in Heaven. Unless we believe this, we are not true Christians.

    I pray that you and your family, as well as John's family, are comforted with that thought, and also the promise that I shall pray for you all, as well as for Brody and Glenn and their families.

    At these difficult times, may we all be united in prayer and support for each other.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God, your words are so true, Victor! We have a hope that goes beyond the grave, and we do not sorrow as those who do not have that hope. I do so appreciate your prayers, and it is a wonderful blessing to have you walk alongside on this blogging journey. God bless you this Easter night and keep you always in His care. :)

      Delete
  8. No wonder you loved your Uncle John so! Your wrote about great memories together. I'm lifting up his Linda in my prayers. And little Brody, I can't help but think God has a special plan here. Praying for him and his family as they go through this. Also, Glen, may our prayers for him bring relief and healing body, soul and spirit. Thinking of you and your family on Easter Sunday and praying that Our wonderful Lord will make His presence known to you on this special day in warm and loving ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Mary. Uncle John was a dear, special person, and we will miss him always. Thank you SO much for praying for Aunt Linda and all who are mourning. YES, I believe God has a special plan for little Brody, too. I know He is working. I so appreciate your sweet visit and words, dear friend. God bless you and your family this Easter night!

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Uncle John. I rejoice with you that He is now singing with Jesus in Heaven.

    I so enjoyed reading about the legacy of your Uncle John and your family gatherings, times of song and fellowship. O what special times those must have been! I loved reading about it. It brought a big smile to my face. I lifted your Aunt up in prayer to the God of All Comfort.

    I was so disappointed to hear that Brody is not doing well again. I lifted him up to the Great Physician.

    I also lifted up Glenn to the Great Physician and Wonderful Counselor.

    Our God can say the Word and bringing healing and wholeness to all of these situations.

    May God bless you and bring comfort to you during this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, dear friend. I so appreciated your kind words and encouragement. Your faithful prayers just mean the world to me...you are such a precious support and comfort. God bless you abundantly this Easter night.

      Delete
  10. Dearest Cheryl, Your post has certainly touched my heart strings.
    I was saddened to hear about the loss of your Uncle John, the Lord bless you.
    I will certainly be praying for his dear wife Linda. I cannot help but think of her as she is now without him. I just can't imagine life without my spouse.

    And this dear little Brody...My prayers will be with this family.
    You are so good about sharing prayer requests with us, thank you.
    May we always find the time to hold one another up in prayer, and praising God for His faithfulness.

    I trust that you and your family have had a blessed Easter.
    Praise and glory to our Risen Lord~~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debbie! It was SO nice to see that you had stopped by to visit! I have missed you so much! Thank you so much for your kind words and for your faithful prayers and encouragement. We had a wonderfully blessed Easter, all glory be to God....I hope you did, too. Sending you love and blessings, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my dear Cheryl, I can feel the bittersweet mixture of sadness, and yet hope in your heart as you wrote about your dear Uncle John, and the special memories you shared of him. My heart indeed does go out to your Aunt Linda, such difficult and lonely days ahead of her, and I am praying that her children and grandchildren will be there to encourage her, and that she will be encouraged in the Lord! And poor little Brody, I can't even imagine the family's suffering as they continue to deal with his medical issues, bless his heart, he has the sweetest look on his face, and I will be praying for him! And will indeed be praying for Chris, and her situation with her father too! Our Lord is able to heal and whatever happened with this injury, the Lord is able to touch and reverse it in Jesus name. Will continue praying for these needs, and believing for a miracle!

    Praying you had a blessed Easter today, much love is always sent to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right...it is all so bittersweet. In one way, I am so thankful he is out of his suffering, and knowing he was ready to go, makes that part so much easier. But, the missing him...that is the part that will be so hard. It just seems that once you have lost your parents, their siblings mean even more to you...like you are holding on to whatever piece of your past you can get a hold of. Thank you for your dear prayers and faithful support and encouragement. Our Easter was very blessed, praise the Lord, and I was so happy to hear that yours was, too. Sending you much love and many blessings across the miles!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Laura! Praying for YOU, too...we just had our intercessory prayer time, and your name was mentioned in it. God bless you all and meet your needs and bring your husband the job he needs. :)

      Delete
  13. Yes, we all share in the loss of loved ones. Poor little baby..I pray he will get better soon.
    Thanks so much for coming by and leaving such a sweet comment. I am more than sure that I couldn't make it 15 minutes without my Jesus...HE holds me up every single day...HE puts my one foot in front of the other...HE carries all my worries and HE shares all my joys.
    Have a blessed and fun day...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear BJ, It was such a dear blessing and pleasure to visit at your blog today! I hadn't been there in a long time, and I was so thankful to find you in my blog list. I have only recently started referring to it, since I have been having computer/email issues. Thank you ever so much for returning my visit...you have blessed me so much by your sweet comments! God bless you abundantly, sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Cheryl! I pray the prayer of Jabez every day. I think it's such a powerful one!
    Please accept my condolences on the passing of your dear uncle. What a sadness. Yes, I know he's out of his suffering and is happy with the Lord, but it's still hard to say goodbye. I will pray for your aunt for sure. And for your heart and the whole family. When a loved one dies, so many are affected.
    Thank you again for your prayer ministry! You bring prayer and hope to so many. Poor Brody... May he heal soon!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Ceil, that is just wonderful! It IS a powerful prayer. My little family and I have also just recently started praying The Lord's Prayer on a regular basis, too. It is SO powerful...I can just feel the Spirit of God when we are praying that...it isn't just words. It is so heartfelt and deep. Thank you for your prayers. I am praying for you, too...oh, I hated to hear of your ear situation. We lifted you to the Father tonight in our intercessory prayer time. God bless you, dear friend. :)

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful song, post and blog! Praying for your family, for the peace that passes all understanding, from the God of all comfort, and for healing for Brody. Praise God that loved ones in Christ will be reunited one day!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on Saved by Grace.
    God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet visit, Laurie. I so enjoyed visiting you today. I love your Scripture-saturated posts! So encouraging and such a blessing you are! I am so glad you enjoyed your time here, too. God bless you abundantly!

      Delete
  16. Hello Cheryl, First let me say I have read your comments about not receiving my posts any more because of the changes made by Google. I'm sorry about that. I have been away a lot over the last couple of months and haven't spent a lot of time on the site but will see what I can do about adding another email option, maybe I will have to get a grandchild to help me as I am not particularly tech savvy :(
    I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle John, someone so loved will certainly leave a gap that will be hard to fill. i will keep praying for all the concerns you have told us about today.

    blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Diana! Praise God, it appears that the issues have been resolved. I am so thankful! Thank you for your kind words and sweet visit. God bless you abundantly!

      Delete