Thursday, September 1, 2016

To Keep, Or Not To Keep?

"Heaven and earth shall pass away: but My words shall not pass away."
Mark 13:31
(KJV)

God has made amazing strides in helping us on our journey towards a simpler, more minimal life.


To Him be all glory and praise for elevating our eyes above what we can see
and for showing us that too much stuff is only a distraction from our calling and purpose in life.

This living for Jesus is truly a walk that is entirely by faith,
and there are absolutely layers to the true meaning of trust.
I talk more about this in this post and this post.

By God's grace, we sold our home and purged about 85% of our stuff.
We don't miss a thing.
We feel lighter, happier, and more full of joy than I can ever remember feeling before.

What remains of our physical belongings is either with us or sitting in a 10x20 storage unit.

As we all know, the rent on storage units is not cheap.

So, now we are faced with yet another daunting challenge.

To keep, or not to keep?

Does the value of the stuff we have held on to,
whether it be monetary or sentimental,
justify the monthly storage payment?

Who knows how long it will be where it is.
This could add up to a great deal of expense over the course of time.

I'll be honest.

It just about did the three of us in to make this move.
Due to our desire to pay off debt and be good stewards,
we chose not to hire movers.
We rented a 26 foot truck, and the task of loading it fell largely to my sweet husband
and our dear son.
I did all I could to help, but my best efforts didn't feel like they made much of a dent in the load they carried.

I watched, as Kevin and Zachary both pushed way past their limits,
trying to bring every, single thing we had decided to keep.
As we were finishing loading the truck,
Kevin had reached the end of his endurance, and he told me there was no way he  could
unload the truck when we arrived at our destination.
He was just not physically able.

Thankfully, God provided on the other end, and he didn't have to do much at all.

As I sat there outside the storage unit watching the process,
seeing the effort it took to unload,
sensing Kevin's pain from overdoing it to get the stuff where it needed to be,
I felt ashamed.

Truly ashamed.

Because, something really odd happened outside that storage unit.

Seeing our stuff, strewn all around, as the guys tried to figure out how to get it all into the limited 10x20 space, was worlds-apart different from seeing it in its familiar setting in our home of the past 14 1/2 years.

It was the strangest thing, but
seeing our stuff situated in an unfamiliar place,
presented it to me in a whole new light.

Suddenly, it no longer held the same sentiment and value to me.
I looked at things, and I found myself turning to Kevin and asking,
"Why on earth did we bring that?
Why was I so intent on bringing this, when it put you and Zach through so much to get it here?"

As I said, I was ashamed.

I thought I was really getting this whole minimal thing.
I thought I had learned what it means to not hold on to things that drag us down.
I thought we had minimized enough.

I could not have been more wrong.

We have made multiple visits to the storage unit, and each time we go,
I feel so much stress.

I look around, and I question over and over again, why we went to such pains to bring so much stuff.
I absolutely hate paying the storage bill, as it seems like excess and wasteful spending.
I feel like that money would be much more wisely allocated if it were being applied to the paying off of residual debt.

We are slowly, very slowly, weeding through what remains.

But, as we weed, I keep facing the same steel walls,
and the same decision keeps re-hitting with full force.

What do we keep?
What do we let go of?
What will we need later on?
What if we regret letting certain things leave our grasp?
What if we miss it and kick ourselves for letting it go?

As we plow through this challenge,
we have come to at least one obvious conclusion.

What remains needs to be divided into two categories...
"to keep", and "not to keep."

Of the "to keep" category, we must make another decision.
Do we keep it in storage, where it continues to cause a monthly expense?
or
Do we bring it to where we are and give up much-appreciated and precious uncluttered space?

Of the "not to keep" category, we must make this decision.
Do we sell the items?
or
Do we give them away?

I find that I am continually torn, because I am over-the-top sentimental.
I wish I weren't this way.
Why do I cling to things?

My thoughts are continually drawn back to the One we are trying most to please.

Jesus had no home.
There was nothing, and I do mean nothing, holding Him back,
tying Him down,
encumbering Him,
or preventing Him from being totally free to go and do what His Father sent Him here to do.

Do you ever remember reading where someone sent for Him to come heal them,
or someone asked for His help, and He had to decline due to His need to take care of His possessions?

I realize we can't all just up and let go of everything we own.
Nor does He call each one of us to do that.

What He does require is for us to love Him with our whole heart, soul, strength, and mind.
(Luke 10:27)
What that, definitively, looks like for you may be very different from what it looks like for me.
But, what it universally means for all of us is that we esteem nothing else above Jesus.
That He has no rival for our affections.
That He reigns supreme, over all else in our lives.

I think often of the passage of Scripture (John 21:15) where Jesus asked Peter,
"lovest thou Me more than these?"

There has been debate for centuries over what exactly Jesus meant when He said, "these".
Some say He meant the fish...Peter's love of his career as a fisherman.
Others say He meant the other disciples.
Others have different opinions...and that is all they are, truly.
Any other assertion is sheer assumption and cannot be proven, since Jesus only said, "these".

Do you know what I think?
And, again, it is only an opinion, but, for what it's worth to you, here is my two-cents' worth.
I think Jesus only said "these", without further specification, 
because He wanted to leave it open-ended.
He wanted us to fill in the blank...in our own life, 
so that we could apply it any way necessary.

"Cheryl, do you love Me more than these...possessions?"
"Do you love Me more than this house?"
"Do you love Me more than your own plans for your life?"
"Do you love Me more than your dreams?"
"Do you love Me more than yourself?"

You will have to fill in the blank...in your life.
What competes with Him for your attention?
What impedes your spiritual progress?
What rivals your prayer time?
What do you find yourself preferring to do rather than study His Word?
Where would you rather go than to His house?
Who do you love more than Him?

As we weed through the muddled piles of our earthly possessions,
the question is continually there...
to keep, or not to keep?

And, I wonder.
Do I love this stuff more than Him?
Is the keeping of it hindering me from doing what He is asking of me?
Am I so tied to it that my determination to keep it holds me back from being able to go where He asks me to?

What are my true motives in hanging on to all of this excess?

I'm not talking about necessities.
And, we have learned over the course of this summer that what can be defined as necessities is far
less than we thought at the onset of this minimizing journey.
After all, how many articles of clothing can a person wear at one time?
How many pairs of shoes do we really need?
It is amazing how little we can survive on when it all boils down.

What I am talking about is the unnecessary....
the things not essential to everyday living.

Could it be sold, and the money given to those less fortunate or applied to debts we feel God is really wanting us to pay?
Could it be donated to a family who actually needs it?

As we seek God earnestly over each and every thing in that storage unit,
He keeps presenting a question to me.
In response to my many questions like,
"Lord, what if we need it later?
What if we regret letting it go?
What if we end up not being able to replace it, if need be?",
Jesus asks this.
"Do you need it TODAY?"

I look around me, and I realize that He is providing every, single thing we need, at the moment, 
and I answer, "No, Lord. We don't need it today."

And, I get the point.

He doesn't promise us tomorrow, and if tomorrow should come,
won't He still be God?
Won't He still be aware of our needs?

In Matthew 6:25-33, Jesus said,
"Therefore I say unto you, 
Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; 
nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. 
Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?"

In other words, aren't you and your life more precious than food and clothes?
Isn't there more to life than material things?

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; 
yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? 
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink?
 or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) 
for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; 
and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: 
for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. 
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Never before in my life has God driven these points home to me more.
There is enough to be concerned with today.
There is enough evil needing to be overcome today.
To borrow worry and fear tomorrow and what will happen,
what we will need, how we will have those needs supplied, etc.,
is just plain wrong.
It grieves God even more than it would hurt us to see our own child(ren) worrying and fretting
over how they will have food and clothes and their basic needs supplied,
when we know, all along, that we would do anything within our power to make sure they are okay.

If God spares time and my life, I will soon be 50 years old.
How this could be, I have no clue.
Where have the years of my life gone?

In all of those nearly 50 years, God has never failed me.
In all of those nearly 50 times of moving, growing up, I never lacked what was needed.
That's a pretty impressive track record, I would say.
I look back over the many houses and places we moved into and out of,
and I remember the many "things" I was forced to give up and leave behind,
and I realize that I am still here.
And, I still have everything I need.
And, God still remains and has proven time and time again,
that He is faithful.

Just like Kevin and I would do anything within our power to make sure Zachary has everything he needs,
God, as our Heavenly Father, will not allow us to lack.

God is teaching us even new layers of trust,
and, with each new layer, we are learning that He is faithful.

He is worthy of our trust, dear friends.

"Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him."
Psalm 103:13


If video doesn't load, click here.

Below, you will find one of the most encouraging songs by The Kingsmen.
I can't begin to express how much this song means to my family and me.
I hope you have time to listen!



If video doesn't load, click here.

"Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands; thy walls are continually before Me."
Isaiah 49:15,16

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:"
Isaiah 26:3,4

"Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: He is their help and their shield."
Psalm 115:11

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3:5,6

"Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."
Psalm 37:3

38 comments:

  1. Oh Cheryl, I feel so many of the things you wrote about today. When we moved back from France I sold/gave away so much and yet we still have a garden shed with boxes in...that have been there for 4 years! Most of the things that I find hard to release are in some way connected to childhood, or to my mother/ grandparents etc, cookery books, tablecloths, things I don't really use but are still part of me. I need to read your post again, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear friend! My heart goes out to you so much! Do you know that my dear mother has been with Jesus for over four years, and I am still clinging to certain of her things? The sentimental things are the hardest decisions, by far! Sometimes I just don't know what to do, and I just plead with God to not let me turn loose of anything I will regret. Only He knows what the future holds. I completely understand what you are feeling. May God bless you and reveal His perfect will to you and help you to be able to make the right decisions. Sending you love and a big hug across the miles!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, what a great take on Jesus's words, "Do you love me more than these?" It makes so much sense that "these" would be different for each of us.

    My husband and I will be in a "to keep or not to keep" mode very soon. We bought this house almost 11 years ago, when we had 2 teens. Now, our kids are gone, and we have more space than we need. As we prepare to downsize, we will be weeding through the stuff in our house and the boxes in the garage and making the decision to keep or to get rid of. I actually dread that process, though I know it's necessary, as we do want to downsize.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti! I feel for you, my friend. Oh, my, when the dear Lord first started laying it on our hearts to do this, I would actually sit and CRY, as I looked around and saw the overwhelming task in front of us. We started on the attic and unseen places first, then worked our way out to the visible parts of the house. I have never seen such a task, but I can tell you this...God has been SO faithful through the whole process, as I know He will be for you and your husband, too. Please keep in touch and let me know how things are progressing. Sending you love and hugs, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Oh sweet friend, what a post! Your honesty is so refreshing and your love for the Lord is truly a blessing to see. While the Lord is showing you something He used you to be an example to me...He used you to teach me a lesson {{smiles}} Thank you for sharing your thoughts and God's precious Word.

    May you have a most blessed weekend, dear one. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, friend! That just blesses me beyond words! Thank you ever so much for stopping by and leaving this precious encouragement. God knew I needed it, and He is so faithful. Sending you love and hugs!

      Delete
  4. Dear Cheryl, Thank you for sharing your struggle and your heart in such a humble, transparent way, but most especially thank you for sharing how the Lord is bringing you through those struggles and the very lessons you are learning as a result. It always amazes me how much we need to learn, even in one singular area!

    You and your family are bringing such Glory to God in this act of obedience. It reminds me of when God called to Abraham to take Sarah and go to a land that He would show them, and look at all the blessings not only they received but we as a result. You and your family are receiving these blessings now in this season of obedience in your lives and we, your friends, are blessed to read ALL that God is teaching you and ALL that He had done and is doing for you.

    You are such a dear, dear blessing to me and to everyone that reads your story. I appreciate so much all the time you put into these extremely well-thought out and heartfelt blog posts.

    May the God of Peace bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen! Your words are more precious to me than I know how to express! Praise God, and to God be all glory. He is so faithful to place such precious friends in our lives. You are a consistent and dear blessing and encouragement to me...both at your blog and here. I am so thankful for your friendship, support, and kindness. God bless you over and over again! Sending you much love and many blessings!

      Delete
  5. I understand what you're going through, Cheryl. When we were kids my mom held onto stuff from when she was young, and it was on all of us, my dad, brothers, and I, to haul it around. She still has it and is actually a borderline hoarder. I share that to share what it is you're learning; it's just stuff. And I don't want to be so taken with our things that they become more than what they are. If we haven't used something in a couple of years, out the door it goes.

    All of us struggle with this to one degree or another. Some of us with big things, some with a lot of smaller things, but all with the same result; taking our attention off of our Father, His protection and provision. Tending to worship the His provision instead of The Provider.

    This is a good reminder for me. Thanks, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, I can so relate to what you went through hauling that stuff around. It's just stuff...how very true. Thank you for sharing these wonderful words and thoughts...your visits are always such a blessing and encouragement to us. God bless you abundantly, brother.

      Delete
  6. I think I have a hard time with the sentimental items and parting with them - so and so gave me this, this was my gramma's and she is gone... or when I was on this mission trip a young girl gave me something to remember her by so I would always remember to pray for her.... It's hard knowing when it is right to part with things, but it does get easier and Jesus lets us take steps little by little. I love the tough questions you asked - do we/I love Him more than .....so glad I got to be your neighbor today at #CoffeeShopConversations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Debbie. The sentimental things are the things I have the hardest time with, too. Oh, my, you are so right...Jesus does let us take steps little by little. You are such a blessing when you stop by here, and I can't thank you enough for your visits and encouragement. God bless you abundantly!

      Delete
  7. Reading the comments here makes e realize how much alike many of us are. I am constantly wanting to get rid of "stuff" but then have difficulty in doing so for the exact reasons you listed. I desperately want to downsize to a smaller home but Hubby isn't interested at all as yet. Thank you for a very thought provoking post.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard when both spouses are not on board with the idea and when one feels called to do it and the other one doesn't. God will bring you both into unison when it is time, I believe. Thank you ever so much for stopping by, Betsy. It is always a blessing to see that you were here. I do trust you are feeling much better by now. Sending you love and hugs!

      Delete
  8. I remember the time when I tried to give away my mother-in-law but no one wanted her. I was going to put her in storage but she did not want to go!

    Great article Cheryl. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Victor! I can always, always count on you to make me laugh! Leave it to you to stop by and spice things up a bit! You are a cherished blessing, my friend. :) God bless you and your family (including your mother-in-law!), too!

      Delete
  9. Dearest Cheryl, what an excellent post!
    Thank you for sharing your heart in all honesty with us, because I'm sure we all have more than we really need. My husband and I talk of this quite often and he has a hard time purging where as I do not. I would love to see our sheds, yes sheds, and garage empty out but He can't do it.
    I often think about those who have to pay to store their things, seems crazy.
    I can remember back when my husband and I moved to Canada in the first years of our marriage and we had two vans and a car which was in tow filled to the brim. We had all our things strung out trying to rearrange and get it all in not wanting to part with a thing,I was ashamed of the stuff and we didn't have much them.
    Good for you in purging and I'm sure you will come to a peaceful place of what to keep and what not to keep with what you have in storage.

    The Lord bless you, lovely lady~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear friend! I surely understand what you mean. It is hard when not both of you are on the same page, but it seems that, over time, God brings things into alignment, when the time is right. Speaking of sheds, that is such a blessing that you have a spot to store the stuff, without having to pay rent. But, then again, knowing we are paying rent on the space sort of lights a fire under us to stay diligent in downsizing!! It truly is such a great joy to just let things go, and I suppose reaching the end of having to make that monthly payment is a great incentive. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your dear, kind words, sweet friend. Sending you much love and many blessings.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful Bible verses and very thought-provoking post. Thank you for sharing. Praying the Lord will bless you with wisdom as you face these tough decisions. That's wonderful that you got almost all your debt paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I surely appreciate your prayers, Bethany. It is very tough, and sometimes I truly do not know what to do. God is the only One who knows the future, and I trust Him and need to stay close enough to hear His still, small voice. Thank you for your dear comments...they mean so much to me!

      Delete
  11. Cheryl, dear, this post really touched my heart. I'm looking around at a lot of stuff... even though I've been trying to do thrifty real estate investing. ~grin~ There is so much stuff... so many decisions... and there's so much work to a yard sale. That's what my husband wants me to do. I almost feel like I should set my possessions out on tables and then go to the sale myself to see what I really love and what I really need. Like you said, seeing it in different surroundings might make a big difference.

    Hugs to you my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really great idea, my friend. Seeing them outside your home in their familiar setting makes such a huge difference. I am so amazed at how this affected me and my feelings towards things. I never expected that dis-attachment (is that a word? LOL!) I so appreciate your sweet visit, encouragement, and kind words. Sending you love and hugs, and I promise to hop over to visit you soon! God bless you!

      Delete
  12. Wow, convicting!! It can be so hard to part with stuff- and I've had that same shame as my husband and I have packed up our stuff and moved it (with no movers) about 8 times in the past 4 years. Hoping to do it again soon, too!! That said, from that same shame and similar conversations with the Lord, we don't have all that much "stuff" now, and what we do we know is a gift from the Lord!! Praying He continues to comfort your heart and teach you in the letting go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 8 times in 4 years! That brings back memories of my childhood and our many moves! Thank you for stopping by, Bethany, and for sharing your story here. I love to hear about the minimizing journey of others and how God has led in their lives! Sending you love and gratitude for your presence here.

      Delete
  13. I love your heart behind all this. We are trying to simplify, too. It's proving challenging with a baby and four sets of generous grandparents! But I'm just trying to start off my simplifying my own stuff. I have a small closet jammed packed full of clothes that don't fit and aren't flattering. So I'm getting rid of anything I can and starting over again with a few pieces that fit well and make me feel good. I recently de-cluttered a dresser that we use for storage in our living room and that feels so good. Next is our office / spare room, which has become a haven for stuff the baby has outgrown. I'm going to bookmark your post and come back to it when I'm struggling with the sentimental stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, you are so right...grandparents LOVE to shower our babies with a lot of excess, because they just love so deeply and want to express that in a tangible way. But, alas, it leaves us with so much to figure out what to do with, and then we feel bad for possibly wounding their feelings/generosity! But, it sounds like you are doing a great job and are well on your way to making noticeable progress! I am so proud of you and thankful you are on this journey! God bless you...it was so nice to see you had stopped by. Give that baby a hug for me!

      Delete
  14. It sounds very much like God is calling - pushing - you to let go of the excess so that it may benefit others, to let go of the storage unit so the money can be put to proper use not hoarding objects but buying freedom from debt or put towards charity for His people.

    I guess I don't see the problem. When God calls, how do you say no? How do you say "well, but I really like mom's old secretary desk, so can we negotiate?" That never turns out well in the Bible. When God calls, though it be challenging and difficult, you go. At least that's how I thought it was supposed to work.

    We gave up nearly all our possessions for a period of our lives, with a spiritual push behind it. It was a great cleansing, and the blessings were tangible during that time. When the choice is God or a box of sentimental stuff, God ought to win. Throwing out (recycling, selling, donating, etc) sentimental objects is not throwing out the love and memories behind them, or the people whom you've decided they represent. It's honoring our current needs, our current space, and the specific Call you are hearing.

    Don't overthink it - God, and a relationship with Him, is more important than stuff, and I know you agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you the truth...whoever you are...that this does indeed feel like a CALLING. I will be writing about that, Lord willing, because it has been very weighty upon my heart. When it feels like a calling, it sheds a whole new light on the whole situation, and to deny ourselves for HIS name's sake and in order to follow Him more closely brings, oh, the most deep-down joy!! Your words present a challenge to me, and I am truly thankful for that. Grateful to you for your visit the thoughts you shared here! God bless!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words. I hope I didn't come off as judgmental. I just know what it is to be called to let go and live by faith for a few years. It's scary, and uncomfortable, and it pushed us entirely out of our comfort zone - and the whole period was at times terribly difficult, and I prayed a lot and worried just as much because living on faith does not come naturally to me. But I do believe that if you feel called as a Christian, we are supposed to be able and willing to say "Here I am Lord. I will go."

      I wish you luck and ease in discerning what really matters.

      Also, practically, as someone now in the midst of a health crisis of consuming proportions, I can say I am so glad I don't have excess stuff to cope with on top of everything else. It keeps housework to a minimum! If it wouldn't trouble you any, if you could lend me your prayers for recovery and safety during treatment, I would be grateful.

      Delete
    3. Bless your heart! I absolutely will pray for you and believe God right alongside you that He will heal you and bring you through this difficult time. He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think! No, you did not come off as judgmental. I needed your directness, and it REALLY challenged me, as I could discern that the Holy Spirit was speaking right through your every word. Your perspective was so appreciated, and I take your advice in the spirit of grace and gratitude. Our "one word" for this year is trust, and I thought I knew what it means to trust the Lord...it seems and sounds so elementary. But He has taken and is taking us to a whole new dimension in that area. I think this "gentle urge" from Him that we continually feel to let things go is all a part of this. He doesn't want us to lean to our own understanding, to rely upon our own resources, or to have a self-made (not that we can do anything at all without Him) "ace in the hole" safety net to fall back on. I do trust your health problems are resolved quickly and as painlessly as possible. I am praying now.

      Delete
  15. This is so relevant to me in this season of my life. Thank you for sharing your heart, it was a blessing to me and to others, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know it blessed you!

      Delete
  16. Oh Cheryl, I understand and am asking God to show you what to keep and whether to sell or give away things you can do without. Be in agreement as that is important. Thank you for sharing your heart with us here at Tell me a Story. My husband built a shed - - large as a garage, to store things we are not using. There are things I would get rid of, but we would not be in agreement, so for now they stay. Our daughter still has some of her things in the shed, when they moved here from down South. Saved them a storage unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hazel! I appreciate your words and your prayers for us more than I could ever say! Thank you for your advice and for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Sending you much love and gratitude!

      Delete
  17. Cheryl,
    We just moved and most of our stuff is either in pods or a storage unit. We don't have our house yet but I think about all the stuff we brought. I ask myself, why did we bring that hideous thing? I think once we are settled in our new house, we are having a yard sale. It will be a good way to get rid of junk and get to know our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! I know exactly what you mean, Regina. I find myself asking that, too, and the worst part is that we are paring down to the real sentimental stuff now...that, for me, is the hardest. Yard sales are great ideas! I trust God will bless your efforts, send you buying customers, and make this a blessed season of life for you. I am so thankful for your visit and sorry it took me a while to respond. God bless you!

      Delete
  18. Oh how I felt each and every word you wrote here dear Cheryl! Last year when we downsized from our 2000+ sq ft home to a 750 sq ft home, it was soo hard... and the hardest part was what I called the "memory heavy" stuff... things that don't matter a bit to anyone else, but held special memories for us. And just as you spoke... the Lord teaches us that we are not to hold onto anything in this world as if it is all we have... our hope is in HIM, and when we get our focus right, we can let go of the hold that things have on us. Now, I can't imagine living in a large home. I am so blessed and full of contentment right here where the Lord has. He is so faithful! Will be praying for you on your continuing journey of letting go! Once you begin to let go, things get easier and easier, and it becomes a joyful thing!

    Also you mentioned one of my favorite verses... "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." This verse says it all. When problems come, as they always do... if I turn my focus to HIM, my heart remains in peace, and that for me, is the most satisfying way to live.

    Much love and hugs to you today! I can't believe I have not had a chance until now to visit with you here! Where did the time go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! You surely have been on a journey of your own! And, yes, it does get easier with time, thank the Lord! You are a constant encouragement to me, sweet friend. So very thankful for you, your visits here, and your support and encouragement!

      Delete