Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Prayer of Thanksgiving

"...thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
I Corinthians 15:57
(KJV)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Did you ever notice how hard it is to pray without asking the Lord for anything?
To pour out a prayer of pure thanksgiving...just praising Him for all He has done,
without bringing any new petitions before Him?

Today, I wanted to do that.
Even though there are burdens pressing heavy upon my spirit,
I suppressed the temptation to ask on this Thanksgiving Day. 
I owe God SO much gratitude and worship for all He has already done.
Don't we all?


~ My Thanksgiving Day 2016 Prayer ~

"Dear, Precious Lord,
Where do I begin to even try to express my gratitude to You this year?
As You know, today is the day that our nation has set aside to give thanks,
but, as You also know, I am so thankful every, single day that I live.
Because life itself is such a gift, and I thank You for it from the bottom of my heart.
Thank You for being who You are, Lord.
You are the Savior of my soul,
the keeper of my heart,
the One I adore above all others.
You mean absolutely everything to me, 
and I simply have no words to tell You that strongly enough.
I am glad You don't look on the outward appearance, but You look way down deep inside my heart.
So, You know how much I love You, Lord...
how much I thank You for being my all in all.
Thank You for the amazing gift of Your one and only precious Son.
Thank You, Jesus, for being willing to hang on a cruel, rugged cross,
to stretch out Your arms, and to take the blame for all of my sins.
I feel SO bad that You had to do that...
to think that my sins are the very reasons You were tortured beyond endurance hurts me to the core,
and I am SO SORRY.
I could never, in a million years, ever thank You enough or even partially repay You for all You went through because of me and all of the wrong things I have done.
Thank You for loving me, even when I am so unlovable.
Thank You for covering my sins with Your own precious blood.
Thank You for washing me clean and giving me a fresh start...so many, many times.
Thank You for grace and for the way it gives me strength to stand against the wrong.
Thank You for forgiving me,
for erasing my unrighteousness, just like it was never there.
Thank You for my dear, hard-working, loving husband.
Lord, You surely knew when You created him how much I would need him as I am walking through this life.
Thank You for his never-ending patience with me...
his kind, compassionate, giving, merciful spirit,
his willingness to lead our little family in Your ways and to follow Your heart.
Thank You for every second You allow us to spend together,
for the deep bond You have allowed us to forge over the past nearly 30 years.
I just could never thank You enough for him, Lord.
Thank You for our dear, sweet son who means more than the world to both of us.
Lord, we just don't know how to thank You for allowing us to be his parents.
After so many, long years of waiting and longing for him, he is truly a gift straight from You that keeps giving every, single day.
Thank You SO much that he loves You, dear Lord, and that he tries so hard to walk in Your ways.
I can't begin to express how much it means to be the one he calls "Mama".
Oh, thank You, Lord!
Thank You for the everyday moments the three of us share together, the comfort they both are to me, the meals around our table, our laughs, our prayer times, our Bible studies, our walks, our silly moments, the times we lighten up and act goofy, and those serious and somber talks we all love to have.
Thank You that YOU are the central focus of our lives and home.
Thank You for lifting us out of the miry clay and setting our feet upon a rock and for establishing our goings.
Thank You for allowing us to leave behind so much pain and sorrow and move to a place
where You have given us a fresh, new start.
Thank You for my family...the sisters and brother so dear to my heart,
my nieces, nephews, cousins, uncles, aunts, and in-laws.
Thank You for my sweet, Godly parents and for the way they raised me in Your love.
Thank You that they instilled an adoration for You within my heart from earliest childhood.
Thank You for the 34 years you gave me with Dad and the 45 years You gave me with Mom.
Thank You to know that they both now rest in Your own loving arms, 
never to suffer again.
Thank You for my extended family, all of my loved ones, and so many precious friends.
Thank You for the ones I haven't even met yet...including the ones I've made through this blog,
who have grown dear to me, even though we have never seen each other face to face.
Thank You for the people in my life's inner circle...the ones I turn to for guidance, counsel, and support.
Thank You for all of the times they have been there for me and the special blessing they are to my life.
Thank You for the many times You have healed my family and me...
for the many recent and long-ago answers to prayer,
for giving me songs in the night,
for lifting my spirits and giving me hope and courage to take one more step.
Thank You for food and a nice, warm place to sleep and call home.
Thank You for eyes to see the beauty all around me,
ears to hear, hands to serve, feet to walk, a clear mind, and the ability to reason.
Thank You for the relationship I have with You,
for our daily prayer time, our sweet communion, the way You speak to me.
Thank You for the health I have and for giving me strength to push through even the worst moments of pain and affliction.
Thank You for never giving up on me, even when I must be so hard to deal with.
Thank You for meeting me so intimately in so many anguished moments
and for letting me know, with such certainty, that it truly is better farther on.
Thank You for helping me to keep Heaven in view when earth's trials become overwhelming.
Thank You that this troubled world is not our home...
that You have gone away to prepare a much better place for us,
and that You will one day come back to take us there with You for eternity.
I could go on and on, Lord!
There is so much more on my heart.
You know all about it...all about me,
and I will share those other things with You alone.
On this Thanksgiving Day, I could not be more thankful, Lord.
I love You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
In Jesus' Name, Amen."

18 comments:

  1. Nice… Beautiful prayer of Thanksgiving to the One we strive to honor for all He does and how He loves us. Amen and Amen, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I hope you and your family have had a wonderful day together! God bless you for the encouragement and blessing you are to us and so many others.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful Cheryl, what a tremendous outpouring of your thankfulness to the Lord, it blessed me to read it, and say amen, amen, amen! You penned the words so beautifully flowing deep from your soul on this day when we stop to really be thankful, and count our very many blessings! I give the Lord praise always for His many blessings, and thank Him for His mercy beyond measure extended to me. One of my blessings I am counting is having you in my life! Thank you dear friend for who you are, and for your friendship. Many hugs,love and prayers sent to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, dear friend! Your words always warm my heart and lift my spirit! Many hugs and love sent back to you today! :)

      Delete
  3. My sweet and precious friend, what a beautiful post. I agree with Marilyn, what a tremendous outpouring of thankfulness. Oh, we have SO MUCH to be thankful for - praise God!

    One thing I am thankful for is YOU and your sweet friendship. Much love to you,dear Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, and amen, dear friend! Sending you so much love and gratitude for your friendship and presence in my life. Many blessings, hugs, and love to you!

      Delete
  4. thank you for blessing us with your beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear BJ, for your sweet visit! God bless you. ;)

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving all through the year.

    God bless you and yours, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I wish the same for you, my friend. God bless you!

      Delete
  6. A beautiful prayer. Have a wonderful weekend,
    blessings,

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Diana. God bless you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful Thanksgiving prayer.. May God continue to bless you and your family.
    Hope you have a blessed weekend.. And a wonderful Upcoming Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I hope the same for you, my friend. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words! God bless you!

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did! I hope you did, as well, Bethany. God bless you!

      Delete
  9. Oh sweet friend. What flows from your heart and through your pen is truly such a beautiful, humble and precious testimony to the Lord. You ushered me into the presence of the Lord as I prayed with you with many shared sentiments. I liked when you stated that the Lord knows our hearts deep down to understand how much we love Him, when we ourselves may not feel that we are loving Him enough.

    Oh how blessed you are with Godly husband and a son who walks with the Lord. May the Lord continually bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you.

    You are one of the people in my life that I am so thankful for.

    Sending you much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear friend! Your precious words always mean the world to me. I am so very thankful for you, too, and I just appreciate God allowing our paths to cross. You are a consistent blessing to me, and I am sending you much love and gratitude today!

      Delete